Garmin / Apple issue

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
Garmin issued Service Advisory 1224 Rev A today saying the GPS updater software on flygarmin.com is considered completely incompatible with OSX Mountain Lion.

I guess better late than never. Mountain Lion has been out long enough it's already been through one patch rev.

Smells like Garmin covering their backsides on a contractual obligation that has an "out" clause if they issue a Service Advisory. ;)

Heck if I know. Don't own a Garmin but somehow I'm on their Service Bulletin mailing list.

The stuff they send out about bugs in G1000s is eye opening.

If I remembered (or felt like looking up) how one gets on the mailing list, I'd share. I'm sure it's not hard to find, or I wouldn't have been getting them for a few years now. Heh.

I get stuff from both Cessna and Garmin. Cessna seems to like to combine their announcements for jets and us bugsmashers into the same announcement e-mail which is broken up into sections at least, but if they only have jet stuff, you still get spammed.

Garmin issued Service Advisory 1224 Rev A today saying the GPS updater software on flygarmin.com is considered completely incompatible with OSX Mountain Lion.

I guess better late than never. Mountain Lion has been out long enough it's already been through one patch rev.

Smells like Garmin covering their backsides on a contractual obligation that has an "out" clause if they issue a Service Advisory. ;)

I received it also, although I did purchase a GPSMAP 396 a few years ago, which is still in use.

I remember a couple years back when Garmin made a big announcement about how they were "all in" on the Mac, would be porting all of their application, and so forth. After months of waiting and missed deadlines, what they ended up releasing (as a beta) looked like it had been written by a contract programmer over a single weekend without any QA. They eventually kinda-sorta backtracked on the "all in" thing, I think, by somehow blaming Apple. Pathetic. Not that their Windows apps are anything to write home about.

Most of Garmin's own hardware seems to be decent, though I wonder if they're becoming "too big for their britches" without much meaningful competition. Even in portable automotive GPSes, their biggest competitor is TomTom, whose products (IMO) are lousy by comparison. Smartphones are probably capturing some of this segment, too, but Garmin hasn't done so well in that area, either.

JKG

Heck if I know. Don't own a Garmin but somehow I'm on their Service Bulletin mailing list.

The stuff they send out about bugs in G1000s is eye opening.

If I remembered (or felt like looking up) how one gets on the mailing list, I'd share. I'm sure it's not hard to find, or I wouldn't have been getting them for a few years now. Heh.

I get stuff from both Cessna and Garmin. Cessna seems to like to combine their announcements for jets and us bugsmashers into the same announcement e-mail which is broken up into sections at least, but if they only have jet stuff, you still get spammed.

For Garmin, subscribe to the RSS feed, or enter your email address in the box on the right:

http://www8.garmin.com/aviation/servicenotices.jsp

Back