Garmin 796 and Jeppesen

George Chityat

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
george99
SO I bought a 796. I must say Jeppesen website is an absolute train wreck (or maybe a plane crash). It is all over the place with unclear info, and when I call them, the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

I want to get Jepp approaches on the 796. I understand I have to buy the chart view key for $200. I cannot find anywhere on the Jepp website to purchase the subscription. I call, and after being on hold for 30 minutes, someone tells me it is about $800/year for US coverage. It didn't seem right, since for Garmin Pilot and Foreflight, it is only $199.

Can anyone confirm that it is this much, and if not, what is the best way to go about getting it?

Jepp costs an arm and a leg and their website is complete crap. I would send them an email instead of phone call because chances are they will say Garmin will sell it and then forward that email to Garmin. I did that for my MFD.

Well I called again, and also it was in the 700s (don’t remember the exact number).
But what did Garmin tell you once JEPP sent you to them?

That’s sounds about right. Approach plates for entire US for my MFD is about 900 and I don’t pay for it, I just use the iPad. If I ever change the GPS, will probably just use Garmin flitechart and call it good.

My situation was diff, Garmin said go to Jepp for nav data for my MFD, jepp said go to Garmin, so I looped both in on one email to sort it out. It needed up being Jepp has that database

The thing is that for ForeFlight JEPP charts for the entire US are $199 for the year for 3 devices.
Garmin Pilot samemprice for 1 device. I have that subscription.
I assumed that it would be the same for the 796 since it is not a panel mount device, and it is basically just GP running on a dedicated unit.

I have GP running on 2 devices. But yeah Jepp have atrocious pricing, wonder how they survive in EFB world. Mostly because of vast panel mounted devices for big guys I am guessing

Well $199 for firelight or GP is very reasonable. But I just can't understand why the 796 is so much more money, and also requires the key from Garmin for another 200. Basically almost $1000 for the first year, and that's only for one device.

Back