Garmin 530 Weather

Paul K

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Paul K
I have a student with a C-206, Garmin 530W with gdl69A ( I think thats right ) weather reciever. He has the aviator subscription from XM. The 530 is only showing nexrad and metars. When I go to the map set up page, the "weather" heading is shaded out and I can't enter it. How do I set up the 530 to get the other weather options available with the aviator package?

Thanks for the help.

Paul:frown2:

Are you sure he has Aviator, or does he have the Aviator Lite package?

I'm sure it's the Aviator package. Don't know why the weather setup is shaded out and can't get in to it.

Thanks

Paul

I have a student with a C-206, Garmin 530W with gdl69A ( I think thats right ) weather reciever. He has the aviator subscription from XM. The 530 is only showing nexrad and metars. When I go to the map set up page, the "weather" heading is shaded out and I can't enter it. How do I set up the 530 to get the other weather options available with the aviator package?

Thanks for the help.

Paul:frown2:

The Weather heading on the Map setup applies if you have a WX500 Stormscope.

The Primary Nav page and the Map page can display NEXRAD and you can turn them on or off using the menu function. I think the only other weather products that are displayed on these pages are the TFR data.

The other weather products are displayed on the main weather page, this page is the third or fourth page in the Nav group of pages. You select the product to be displayed by changing the product type in the upper left hand corner of the weather page. You can display the textual METAR from the Airport group of waypoint pages. You can access the Textual METAR data either thru the Waypoint pages or on the weather page while displaying graphic METARs by using menu and select "Move Pointer" and scrolling the pointer to the graphic METAR symbol and pressing enter.

In the Aux pages there is a page that displays the XM service level such as Aviator or Aviator Lite and signal level that is being received. The following page lists the timestamp of the last reception of the various weather products.

John:

Thanks for the response. The aux page shows we have the aviator package, but the weather page only gives the option of nexrad or metars in the upper lest hand corner. I don't know how to get the other weather options to come up.

Paul

John:

Thanks for the response. The aux page shows we have the aviator package, but the weather page only gives the option of nexrad or metars in the upper lest hand corner. I don't know how to get the other weather options to come up.

Paul

Paul,

Verify that you get the other products with the timestamps for lightning, winds aloft, etc. If you don't, find out what version of software is running in the GNS530W.

Hope to get to the plane tommorow. Will verify that all the wx products are being downloaded. If not will try to find the software version.

Thanks

Paul

The 530 software version is 2.0
The GDL69A is version 3.02
Does Garmins website tell the latest version? Is the upgrade something you can do yourself or send to a shop?

Thanks

paul

The 530 software version is 2.0
The GDL69A is version 3.02
Does Garmins website tell the latest version? Is the upgrade something you can do yourself or send to a shop?

Thanks

paul

Paul,

The software is way down level for both the GNS530W and the GDL69A.

Support for Lightning, Cell Movement, and Winds Aloft was added at Version 3.0 for the GNS530W. The current version for the GNS530W is 3.3 and is warranty reimbursable at a Garmin dealer. It takes only a few minutes to accomplish. Version 3.3 is considered a mandatory update by Garmin and includes the following:

The 400W / 500W Series Main Software version 3.30 adds a number of new capabilities and features. It contains the following changes:​
•​
Corrected issue with automatic Direct-To sequencing in terminal procedures and Direct-To flight
plan deletions (refer to Service Alert 0936)

•​
Support for Localizer Performance (LP) Approaches

•​
Support for a User Magnetic Variation mode selection, that allows the pilot to specify the value of magnetic variation

•​
Support for the display of XM Canadian weather RADAR

•​
Added display of character “©” for CTAF frequencies shown on WPT Airport Frequency Page

•​
The XM Information AUX Page no longer displays a “Detecting Activation” message when unable to identify an XM service class

•​
Corrected issue where “No Coverage” hash lines were inappropriately displayed on the NEXRAD Map Pages

•​
Corrected RS-232 communication issue with Ryan TCAD where TCAD Approach Mode would not toggle on/off when the airport elevation was automatically loaded for a destination airport. Also corrected issue with RS-232 communication loss with older TCAD units.

The latest GDL69/69A software is version 3.3 and requires version 3.2 to be installed first. This is not a free update. Most shops will charge an hour labor to install each version update, but get a quote first. I recommend that the GDL69/69A be updated to the latest level.

John: Thanks for all you help. Will be setting up an appointment with an avionics shop STL.

Paul Karasek

Back