Garmin 496 frozen

dweyant

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Dan
I've got a yoke mounted garmin gpsmap 496.

It locked up on me today while I was flying. I pulled it out of the plane and had to yank the battery to get it to turn off.

When I put the battery back in it and try to turn it on it gets to the initial splash screen, makes a beep and doesn't get any farther, any thoughts/suggestions?

I've got a yoke mounted garmin gpsmap 496.

It locked up on me today while I was flying. I pulled it out of the plane and had to yank the battery to get it to turn off.

When I put the battery back in it and try to turn it on it gets to the initial splash screen, makes a beep and doesn't get any farther, any thoughts/suggestions?

FUBAR, sounds like some kind of memory issue.

Does it have a way to reset it? I have had similar issues with other electronics and that was the only way to resolve it. You loose everything in memory, but otherwise the unit is useless.

Does it have a way to reset it? I have had similar issues with other electronics and that was the only way to resolve it. You loose everything in memory, but otherwise the unit is useless.

I can't seem to find a way to do a reset, I'm traveling and don't have the owners manual with me unfortunately.

-Dan

Dan,

Call Garmin tech support... there "may" be a way to reset, but not optimistic, you'll probably have to send it back for repair at their ~$350 flat rate price, like I did with the 396 recently.

I'll give them a call in the morning, do you remember how long it took them to repair your unit?

Thanks,

-Dan

Last edited:
Back