Garmin 430W Simulator for Mac

dudevo

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
dudevo
I apologize if this has been brought up before, but I am Mac-based, and don't want to have to jump through the hoops to run a PC emulator in order to use the Garmin website simulator. In this era when thousands of pilots are using iPads in the cockpit and for flight planning, I'm confused as to why a Mac compatible simulator isn't readily available. Any ideas? Thanks.

I apologize if this has been brought up before, but I am Mac-based, and don't want to have to jump through the hoops to run a PC emulator in order to use the Garmin website simulator. In this era when thousands of pilots are using iPads in the cockpit and for flight planning, I'm confused as to why a Mac compatible simulator isn't readily available. Any ideas? Thanks.

Don't be confused. Mac has about 7% marketshare. That's the reason.

Do what the rest of us do. Get virtualbox and setup a Windows VM for times like these.

Garmin isn't even keeping up with Windows versions.

As best as I can tell, the Garmin 400 Series Trainer only works with Windows XP, not on any of the successors including Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8.

I'm a Windows 7 user. So, even on a PC running the just-replaced OS, I had to install a Virtual PC to run the three-back OS, Windows XP, in order to run the Garmin simulator. It took a while, but it was worth it.

PC or MAC, we're in the same boat.

Don't be confused. Mac has about 7% marketshare. That's the reason.

That, and the fact that the GNS 430 is nearing end-of-life. Don't expect Garmin to be expending any resources on enabling new features for that platform, including creating new training simulators.

As best as I can tell, the Garmin 400 Series Trainer only works with Windows XP, not on any of the successors including Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8.

I'm a Windows 7 user. So, even on a PC running the just-replaced OS, I had to install a Virtual PC to run the three-back OS, Windows XP, in order to run the Garmin simulator. It took a while, but it was worth it.

Not true. I routinely run the GNS simulator on my Win7 machine.

Not true. I routinely run the GNS simulator on my Win7 machine.

Weird.

I installed it in Windows 7 and, after it didn't work, jumped through all the hoops to install a Virtual XP machine.

But now, thanks to y'all, and to Google, I think I see why:

I installed this one,
400 Series Simulator
software version 5.01, 11/1/06 - XP Only:

https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3527

Because I didn't see this one,
400W/500W Series Trainer
WAAS software version 3.00, 11/13/07 - XP or later):

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3531

My incompetence prevails again!

http://blogs.computerworld.com/windows/22998/windows-worldwide-market-share-stuck-15-and-falling

Windoze has a 15% market share and MacOS has a 9.6% not all that different really.

That's comparing apples and oranges. In the desktop market Mac is < 10% and Windows is over 80%.

That 15% marketshare is if you include *all* devices, significantly mobile phones.

I was going to say......

Back