Garmin 430W Localizer Error Message

DwayneSmithUSMC

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
DwayneSmithUSMC
Community,

My GPS is giving me an error that the localizer needs servicing. Has anyone had this same issue and/or know what could be causing this. I know it might be an incredibly big ask but if someone could tell me some of the most common issues with the Garmin 430W and localizer issues I'd appreciate it.

I've looked at the manual and tried the Google to no avail.

Is the error message "VLOC needs service"? According to the maintenance manual, that requires replacement of the NAV board. The error messages and suggested repair actions are listed in the maintenance manual. Garmin charges a fixed fee to refurbish your unit, whatever the failure mode. You also get software updates and any other repairs to the circuit boards to bring them up to date. When mine went in for a vertical guidance board, I got a patch to the main board.

Is the error message "VLOC needs service"? According to the maintenance manual, that requires replacement of the NAV board. The error messages and suggested repair actions are listed in the maintenance manual. Garmin charges a fixed fee to refurbish your unit, whatever the failure mode. You also get software updates and any other repairs to the circuit boards to bring them up to date. When mine went in for a vertical guidance board, I got a patch to the main board.

Thanks. I'm attaching an image of what my CFII says he thinks the error message is. It reads VLOC needs service | The GNS 430 has detected a failure in its VLOC receiver. The VLOC receiver may still be usable, but the unit should be returned (at the earliest convenience) to a Garmin dealer for service.

Attachments

• image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 9
Looks like you may be packing up your Garmin for the price fixe repair...:( When I did mine, it was $1500 flat charge. I think it's gone up a bit since then...If you need a loaner, you can usually get one from a dealer when you send yours in. It's not cheap, but will keep you flying. My loaner actually died o_O, and I got another loaner overnight at no charge. My unit was repaired in about 2 weeks. Good luck.

IFD440 swap might be an option depending on the price from Garmin.

I'm pretty sure repair is going to be WAY cheaper than an IFD440. And you get a completely refurbished unit. I'm riding my GNS430W until it is unsalvageable, then it will change into an IFD440 or whatever swaps in then. My GNS430W owes me nothing at this point, going on 20 years.

I'm pretty sure repair is going to be WAY cheaper than an IFD440. And you get a completely refurbished unit. I'm riding my GNS430W until it is unsalvageable, then it will change into an IFD440 or whatever swaps in then. My GNS430W owes me nothing at this point, going on 20 years.
Well a straight-up base price the repair is going to be cheaper but when it gets to a certain percentage of the price if the repair cost is more than expected, an ifd440 question deserves to be looked at.

Well a straight-up base price the repair is going to be cheaper but when it gets to a certain percentage of the price if the repair cost is more than expected, an ifd440 question deserves to be looked at.
I got my GPS installed last year. When I am ready to upgrade I plan to go with a GTN 650 or 750. But that won't be for several years. It sucks that I have to deal with an issue already though.

Back