Garmin 430W and holds

ErikU

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ErikU
I have a new to me Garmin 430W (WAAS version) that will give course guidence through holds and proceedure turns. Yesterday I was practicing with it and loaded the VOR 16R approach to PAE with PAE as the IAF. When getting close to the PAE VOR I wanted to do a couple turns around the hold as published on the approach plate and depicted on the GPS. It is not a required hold.

I could not figure out how to get the GPS to sequence to that hold. If I pushed the OBS button it simply drew an OBS line. I couldn't get the holding pattern to turn magenta. You can try this on the simulator.

How can I get the hold as depicted on the approach to turn magenta?

I believe the only way to get steering for the hold would be to load the approach of which it is a part, and then sequence to the holding fix via the FPL page.

The hold depicted at PAE is part of the missed approach, so in order to have course guidance you'd have to fly the approach, go missed, then it should automagically sequence.

It looks to me like you thought the hold was part of the initial approach.

I believe the only way to get steering for the hold would be to load the approach of which it is a part, and then sequence to the holding fix via the FPL page.

And the only way the autopilot can fly the hold is to have and engage roll steering.

My plane's not gonna fly procedure turns or holds. I have the auto slew on the KFC-200 AP. I'd have to install another piece of equipment and really wouldn't use it enough to be worth it. I'll just have to move the heading bug! But, am getting WAAS in mid August.

Best,

Dave

Ah.. good point that the hold is part of the missed, though I have had it issued to me before an approach clearance was issued for spacing, so I thought it would be nice for my GPSS to fly it.

There is an easy solution. After I load the approach, I can just go the the flight plan page and sequence to the hold. It works perfectly in the sim.

Thanks!

The hold depicted at PAE is part of the missed approach, so in order to have course guidance you'd have to fly the approach, go missed, then it should automagically sequence.
You can bypass flying the approach if you go into FPL, highlight the MA holding fix with the cursor, and hit the D-> button to go direct.

You can bypass flying the approach if you go into FPL, highlight the MA holding fix with the cursor, and hit the D-> button to go direct.

Just remember, the "fly leg" functionality is activated with Direct Direct Enter, not Direct Enter Enter like the "go direct to this fix" function.

Back