Garmin 430 just as good as 430W

Tex_Mike

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tex_MIKE
I am looking at possibly buying one of two different airplanes. One has a Garmin 430 and one has a 430W (WAAS).

What are the downsides of the plain 430 or the major differences between the two different models?

The plain 430 won't have terrain unless it was upgraded for that and you won't have vertical guidance on GPS approaches.

A plain 430 can be upgraded to a "W" for just north of $3k.

Other than the obvious WAAS difference, the upgrades also included a faster processor and I think a higher number of satellites. Why would having one versus another be the difference in choosing a plane? Aren't there other more pertinent factors than this in the decision making process?

You won't be able to do RNAV approaches with vertical guidance (LNAV/VNAV & LPV) which is something worth thinking about. They're very useful approaches.

The 430W also has a refresh rate on the screen that is 5 times faster.

Garmin 430 screens can and do fail, and replacement is very expensive. For that reason a 430 of either flavor with significantly less time on it is to be preferred.

The GNS430W GPS may be used as the sole means of IFR navigation. You don't have to check RAIM prior to flight, you may use a GPS approach for the alternate airport including planning on using the GPS in lieu of an ADF or DME at the alternate if you don't have an ADF or DME on board. On RNAV and GPS approaches, you may use advisory vertical guidance to make a stabilized approach from the FAF down to the MDA (but not below). There are over 2700 LPV approaches with over 600 that have a DH of 200 feet available (compared to fewer than 1300 ILS approaches). If you have an autopilot with a roll steering adapter, the GNS530W will fly the holds published on an approach and will fly the procedure turns. The GNS430W includes the terrain feature. The GNS430W can be used as a WAAS position source required for eventual ADSB upgrade.

The GNS430 can't do the above functions.

To upgrade a GNS430 to a GNS430W can take $4,000 to $5,000, but it only adds about half that to the value of the purchase of the GNS430W already installed in the airplane, so it is usually a bargain.

Last edited:
Are you an instrument pilot or do you plan on getting the rating soon? If so, you'll find the 430W very useful and if you buy the plane without the W, you'll want to spend the money upgrading it.

If you're VFR and don't plan on getting the IR, I wouldn't factor the 430 vs 430W in your buying decision, other than it might be worth a tad extra in resale.

The W gives you 25 nearest vs. 9, FWIW.

I looked at that also and decided that the price difference between the two is less important as a percentage when you figure in the total installation price. I spoke to a number of avionics shops, here is what some said:

Do not buy a 28v thinking to use a step-down.
Do not buy a unit that was upgraded from non-WAAS to WAAS, buy a later-model WAAS.

I am not really remembering why on those.

Back