Garmin 430/530 auto-zoom question

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Is there a way to limit the lower limit of auto-zoom, so it will not zoom closer than 1 or 2nm zoom? I don't mind the auto-zoom feature, but the fact that it goes into such a massive over-zoom while approaching a waypoint sucks.

Thanks Gary. The 530 manual you posted says this (emphasis mine):

"An autozoom feature is available for the DefaultNAV Page, which automatically adjusts from an enroute range of 200 nautical miles through each lower range, stopping at 5.0 nautical miles as you approach your destination waypoint."

The 430W manual (which is what I have) says:

"The automatic zoom feature will automatically adjust the map scale from 2000 NM through each lower scale, stopping at 1.0 NM as you approach your destination waypoint."

That's great... it must just be the GNS430 series simulator that has a bug that lets it continue lower than 1.0 NM (or 5.0 NM on the larger screen 530x). I'll check it out in flight and see what it does.

I have a 430W, and on the auto zoom, it goes all the way down to 1 mile as well.

I have a 430W, and on the auto zoom, it goes all the way down to 1 mile as well.

That's good news. On the latest 430W desktop sim, it goes much lower than that, and it's annoyingly distracting as you approach a fix. Glad to hear the installed unit doesn't behave that same way.

Actually I was just up and it does go down to like 300 ft in the auto mode. Especially when on the runway at the destination. Would be nice if there was a way to only allow it to zoom in to some minimal amount.

Exactly! Sounds like the manual is wrong. I'll email Garmin Tech Support. Thanks for the PIREP!

Back