Garmin 400W/500W software update

txflyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Fly it like you STOL it ♦
I received an e-mailed optional SB from Garmin for a software update to v5.10 on their 400 and 500 series WAAS units.

What is entailed in getting that update into the unit? Does the unit have to come out? Anybody know the cost? I've never updated mine since installed new. :confused:

Thanks in advance.

What is entailed in getting that update into the unit?
Taking it to your local Garmin service center and hanging around for an hour or so. In my case, it means flying up to Lancaster PA (KLNS) and going to lunch at Fiorentino's at the other end of the flight line while Lancaster Avionics does it. The job is done when I get back.
Does the unit have to come out?
I believe that's one way to do it, but it may be possible to do it in the panel. Of course, it only takes a minute or so to pull it and replace it in the panel, so the guys at Lancaster pull it and do the update on the bench inside where it's warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

Anybody know the cost?
I don't remember, but they might have done it free since they did the original installation. Shouldn't be more than an hour of labor with no parts.

I've never updated mine since installed new. :confused:
You will be happier with your system if you keep up with the updates.

Thanks Ron.

I'll try to git 'er done.

The new update addresses some issues with the LPV approaches and the 88 ADS-B unit.

I just had the WAAS upgrade done in October, but didn't get an email optional SB from Garmin for a software update. I guess I should pull out my paperwork and see what version I have.

Thanks for the heads up!

I just had the WAAS upgrade done in October, but didn't get an email optional SB from Garmin for a software update. I guess I should pull out my paperwork and see what version I have.
...or just turn on the unit and see what it says on the start-up screen.

Back