jason

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
Jason W (FlyNE)
Hey all,

I'm looking for a little insight.

I've been wanting to buy a Garmin 296. I guess I've never even looked at the competitors. However, recently I noticed the Lowrance 2000c and the features look very similar, for a significantly lower price.

Has anybody on the board ever used or played with the 2000c? I'm curious to know if it is something that I should be taking a closer look at.

If you are looking at alternatives, I suggest looking at the AvMap Geopilot. That is one fine looking GPS, and my future plans include purchasing one.

I like both but will say the 2000C has only 45 min battery life unless you buy the very heavy back up batter. If you have a panel cigarette lighter adapter this may not be an issue. The 2000C display is bigger but the 296 has a panel view which I consder a plus. However I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Nick, the geo pilot is cheaply made. I had one for a whole day before mine broke and i upgraded to the avmap. Since then (a year ago) my avmap started acting up, and now i went back to the lowrance 2000C. Lowrance is a fine quailty product. I said it before and am reminded now, I wish i never sold my lowrance 1000.

The larger display was the primary reason I went with the 2000c. I've been very happy with it.

I like my 2000c a lot, you can still see the screen even in the Arizona sunshine!:yes:

Hmmm, it doesn't seem like anybody has anything bad to say about the Lowrance. Anybody out there that has used both care to throw their hat into the ring?

How is the land mode on the 2000c? The ability to use it in the car would definitely help the WAF.

Anything about the 2000c that you don't like?

I test drove the Lowrance 600c, the 2000c and the Garmin 296. I liked the 296 the best. Imagine that, the most expensive being the best. I guess you do get what you pay for. However, the 2000c was a close second - I really like the larger screen though in my opinion it would have been a bit much on a yoke mount.

A major difference (as I happen to also be saying on the red board at the moment) is that base imagery and terrain on the Lowrance models is for crap in much of Canada and Alaska, whereas Garmin has great terrain and base mapping for all of North America. I live in Alaska, ergo this is important to me. Battery life on the 296 is outstanding, even with the backlight on, which was another advantage. The 2000c isn't really designed to run on battery, it is really more of a backup.

Last edited:
FlyNE said:
Hmmm, it doesn't seem like anybody has anything bad to say about the Lowrance. Anybody out there that has used both care to throw their hat into the ring?

How is the land mode on the 2000c? The ability to use it in the car would definitely help the WAF.

Anything about the 2000c that you don't like?

The ground mode is not bad. You can get from point a to point b by inputing an address, however it will show you a direct line to the destination. you will not get turn here directions. Works though.

alaskaflyer said:
I really like the larger screen though in my opinion it would have been a bit much on a yoke mount.

I agree that it seemed a bit heavy on the yoke. But then I think all hand helds make the yoke seem too heavy.

I made a small bracket (took about 5 minutes) which I attatched to the panel in my AA1B. The mount for my 2000c can attatch to that bracket, which also makes it convenient for connecting it to the aircraft's power.

I have Energizer rechargables in my 2000c and they will last about 3 hours. Thats not very good, but it gets me where I'm usually going.

Back