Garmin 150 GPS

bigred177

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
bigred
So the plane I'm going in on to fly has an old Garmin 150 in it. The card that is in it is from like 1999 or something like that. The owner has a sheet with all of the old airport identifiers on it and uses it more as a backup than anything. But, 1999 was a LONG time ago. I was wondering if anyone here had an old card they weren't using any more so the database could at least be a little closer to current. Or if no one here has one maybe they could point me to a place that does.

I was hoping I might find one a little out of date for cheaper. I think it's like $300 for a brand new update, plus the cable to load it from your computer. I'll email 'em and see though. Thank you for the link, I have been looking for that one and couldn't find it.

I dunno if "a little out of date" is really any better than a lot out of date...

Trapper John

Well, at least he could stop carrying around the sheet with all of the old airport identifiers on it then. :D

I think you can buy a one time update from jeppessen..they will mail you a card and you mail yours back..you can find extra cards on ebay from time to time as well FWIW

So the plane I'm going in on to fly has an old Garmin 150 in it. The card that is in it is from like 1999 or something like that. The owner has a sheet with all of the old airport identifiers on it and uses it more as a backup than anything. But, 1999 was a LONG time ago. I was wondering if anyone here had an old card they weren't using any more so the database could at least be a little closer to current. Or if no one here has one maybe they could point me to a place that does.

As a Jeppesen Employee I can confirm that we do indeed still sell this update, and it's not as expensive as you might think. You need a card reader/writer $49.99 (part DSKYG241) and you can buy a CURRENT one time USA Only update for $95 (part DGR10053).

PS: We do NOT offer the card "swap" service as described above any longer for this unit. There are very few units we will still do this for, and even those are being actively priced out of use.

You need a card reader/writer $49.99 (part DSKYG241)...
...and as this is the standard USB card reader/writer used for the 430/530 series (among others), you can probably find someone at your airport from whom to borrow it for a one-time update.

As a Jeppesen Employee I can confirm that we do indeed still sell this update, and it's not as expensive as you might think. You need a card reader/writer $49.99 (part DSKYG241) and you can buy a CURRENT one time USA Only update for $95 (part DGR10053).

PS: We do NOT offer the card "swap" service as described above any longer for this unit. There are very few units we will still do this for, and even those are being actively priced out of use.

Thanks for your reply. This is what I got the other day when I email Jeppesen, most of it is close to what you said. I like your price a bit better :).

The cost of the Skybound hardware is $49.99. The cost of the America's south coverage is $115/one time update or $335/annual service. The card size must be at least 2MB. If you need a new card, the cost is $125.
The cost of a programmed card to be mailed to you for a one time update is $385.

I think I may have to get him to do the $95 update, especially if we can use one of the card readers from someone at the airport. Spread that cost out over 10 years again and it looks like a real good deal :rofl:. Just kidding guys, I think he might have to start doing it yearly until Jeppesen stops supporting the 150, for me to keep flying it anyway.

I was hoping I might find one a little out of date for cheaper. I think it's like $300 for a brand new update, plus the cable to load it from your computer. I'll email 'em and see though. Thank you for the link, I have been looking for that one and couldn't find it.

$300 is a lot cheaper than a new modern GPS unit.
At least the older unit is still being serviced.

Got an update for it yesterday. Used one of the flight school's cables to put it on the card. I think it was like $80 total :). Problem is it expires in like 28 days, haha. Better than 10 years out.

I know this post is a year late, but if anyone happens to have an AC Adapter and/or a battery for the Garmin 150 or 150XL GPS, please contact me. Or, if anyone knows what polarity the female adapter plug in the back of the unit is, that would help.

Regards,

Smitty

I know this post is a year late, but if anyone happens to have an AC Adapter and/or a battery for the Garmin 150 or 150XL GPS, please contact me. Or, if anyone knows what polarity the female adapter plug in the back of the unit is, that would help.

Regards,

Smitty

The center is +12 Volts, outer is ground.

Thanks John, that will help a lot!!!

Smitty

Back