Game over man.

Michael

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
CapeCodMichael
Looking at my thermometer outside shows the temperature to be 115. again. Man.....I cant wait for winter.
did I mention its hot outside?

Michael

Michael said:
Looking at my thermometer outside shows the temperature to be 115. again. Man.....I cant wait for winter.

Michael

Yeehah! It's only 1 June, Michael! I'll point to your post any time anyone questions my sanity in moving away from Arizona.

It's a very pleasant 60° up here. We won't every see 115° and rarely will see even 95° and then for only a few days.

Of course, the winters are colder, but you can always put on more and warmer clothes. You can only take off so many. For an outdoorswoman like me, Arizona was torture.

Of course, you WOULD pick the absolutely hottest part. Well, except maybe for Yuma.

Judy

judypilot said:
Yeehah! It's only 1 June, Michael! I'll point to your post any time anyone questions my sanity in moving away from Arizona.

It's a very pleasant 60° up here. We won't every see 115° and rarely will see even 95° and then for only a few days.

Of course, the winters are colder, but you can always put on more and warmer clothes. You can only take off so many. For an outdoorswoman like me, Arizona was torture.

Of course, you WOULD pick the absolutely hottest part. Well, except maybe for Yuma.

Judy
The Parker/Havasu/Bullhead City stretch has always been the worst of the AZ heat. No monsoons for them, either.

I love it when folks lump all of AZ under "desert". You KNOW that all of AZ isn't like that, Judy. Show Low is 89 right now. Flagstaff is 74. The Grand Canyon is 76.

Last year was the first time I stayed active outside in 110 degree heat. After a while, it's really not that bad. Stay in the shade, drink lots of water and wear a hat. Cool down and take a shower later. Not a big deal.

Brian Austin said:
The Parker/Havasu/Bullhead City stretch has always been the worst of the AZ heat. No monsoons for them, either.

I love it when folks lump all of AZ under "desert". You KNOW that all of AZ isn't like that, Judy. Show Low is 89 right now. Flagstaff is 74. The Grand Canyon is 76.

Last year was the first time I stayed active outside in 110 degree heat. After a while, it's really not that bad. Stay in the shade, drink lots of water and wear a hat. Cool down and take a shower later. Not a big deal.

I never minded the heat a bit when I lived in Albuquerque. IIRC, mid to high 90s were the most common summer temps, with the occasional foray into the low 100s. I worked in it, played in it, ate it up with a spoon. I'd love to move back someday. Just have to get used to sidewinders again {shudder}

Michael said:

Michael

I can certainly wait for winter and I hope it never comes again. I am so sick of snow and frigid weather that I keep asking myself why I'm still in Michigan.

I know there has been some discussion on this board about dry heat vs humid climates and I know that 110 is hot no matter how dry it is. But with the typical 80-90% humidity we get in Michigan 80 degrees can be pretty darn miserable. So I think we get it both ways here. In the mid summer it's usually so humid and sticky that you want to hide indoors in the air conditioning and in the winter with the snow and frigid temps you want to hide indoors and hibernate until spring comes. Right now is one of the nicest times of the year here and I wish it could stay like this.

Like they say, the grass is always greener.......

Jeannie

Michael said:

Michael

It may be hot right now, but it is worth the price for having the great winters we do. I hate cold weather. I am part lizzard anyway.
Don

Maverick said:
I can certainly wait for winter and I hope it never comes again. I am so sick of snow and frigid weather that I keep asking myself why I'm still in Michigan.

I know there has been some discussion on this board about dry heat vs humid climates and I know that 110 is hot no matter how dry it is. But with the typical 80-90% humidity we get in Michigan 80 degrees can be pretty darn miserable. So I think we get it both ways here. In the mid summer it's usually so humid and sticky that you want to hide indoors in the air conditioning and in the winter with the snow and frigid temps you want to hide indoors and hibernate until spring comes. Right now is one of the nicest times of the year here and I wish it could stay like this.

Like they say, the grass is always greener.......

Jeannie
Having lived in MI for 31 years before coming here, I can tell you that I MUCH prefer AZ to MI. I'm heading back to GRR for Festival of the Arts this weekend...which is forecasted to have some rain, of course. Not looking forward to the humidity, if any.

Brian Austin said:
Having lived in MI for 31 years before coming here, I can tell you that I MUCH prefer AZ to MI. I'm heading back to GRR for Festival of the Arts this weekend...which is forecasted to have some rain, of course. Not looking forward to the humidity, if any.

It's been really nice for the past few weeks. A little rain here and there but nice temps. It's supposed to get warmer as the week progresses, maybe in the high 70s low 80s. Humidity has not been to bad either. It's currently 75 degrees with 47% humidity where I live near Detroit.

Maybe it will be nice for your visit.

Jeannie

"The best of both worlds"...... 5000'asl and 60 miles from the Mexico border! Just came in from working outside - clear, 89F 30%RH, 10kts wind. Nothing lots of water and a good hat can't make managable! The winters are fantastic. Well, compared to the horizontal blizzards and 12' drifts in my former sorry life.
Ha, ha! I am an expert in this game of weather envy. Dad and I talk on the phone regularily, we play the game... he says 'Its so mild here, sorry you are in the blazing heat down there, son I don't know how you stand it" and I roll my eyes. In the winter I say, "Another 70F day here dad, you all bundled up?" He is living on Vancouver Island now.

Brian Austin said:
T

Yeah, but hardly anyone lives in those places. ;)

I got so I hated flying in Arizona (I lived in southern Arizona) because it was always so hot, even at 12,500', and incredibly bumpy if you didn't get down before, oh, about 0900. It just got tiring after awhile, the heat AND the turbulence. Hey, I learned to fly down there, and hardly ever had to cancel a flight because of weather, but I love flying up here and haven't had to cancel a whole lot more flights. I fly a lot more because it's a lot more comfortable when it IS flying weather, and it's nice not to have to immediately climb to 10,000' just to get out of the heat. I've discovered a whole 'nother world of flying.

Jean said grass is always greener, but I think I've found heaven. Actually, heaven is central California, but California is too full of people. ;)

Judy

judypilot said:
Jean said grass is always greener, but I think I've found heaven. Actually, heaven is central California, but California is too full of people. ;)

Judy
Heaven is actually New Zealand but Central/Northern California is about as close as you can get on this continent. Mild winters, warm summers, few thunderstorms, wall to wall blue skies from May to October and of course, beautiful people and, out of the big cities, not at all crowded.
Stephen.

Yeah, well CA's central coast is fast disappearing as the place to be. It wasn't too long ago the folks in the next county, let alone those in the big city, had never heard of your town but now the secret is out and city folks are flocking here in droves. The worst of it is they're bringing their attitudes too. (A small town isn't a city only smaller) Oh, I guess it'll still be worth visiting for some time to come but when you've lived in an area for some time it's sometimes heartbreaking to watch it morph into an appendage of a big city.

Ugh.. CA traffic. :)

We were in Bullhead/Laughlin this last weekend. It hit 110, but walking up and down the river it didn't feel that bad.

We're actually looking at a house in Bullhead. Michael would have a flying buddy :)

AirBaker said:
Ugh.. CA traffic. :)

We were in Bullhead/Laughlin this last weekend. It hit 110, but walking up and down the river it didn't feel that bad.

We're actually looking at a house in Bullhead. Michael would have a flying buddy :)

woohoo bring that v tail down for my mooney to play with. :)

Bonanza said:
Heaven is actually New Zealand but Central/Northern California is about as close as you can get on this continent. Mild winters, warm summers, few thunderstorms, wall to wall blue skies from May to October and of course, beautiful people and, out of the big cities, not at all crowded.
Stephen.

Amen to that. I LOVE New Zealand. I even have some Gypsy Moth time in New Zealand! Don't know how happy I'd be there over the long term, though. It's awfully small. But it sure is a great place to visit.

Judy

judypilot said:
Amen to that. I LOVE New Zealand. I even have some Gypsy Moth time in New Zealand! Don't know how happy I'd be there over the long term, though. It's awfully small. But it sure is a great place to visit.

Judy
Small is the reason I left, well that and a cute California gal that I fell in love with.
I still keep a place there and go back for about 3 months each year to see my daughter and granddaughter.
I lived there for about ten years and have made many, many wonderful friends and have very happy memories.
New Zealand is one of the last truly green places on earth. Pure, unspoiled and a delight in every way. Flying there is challenging being very mountainous but extreme fun and the sense of adventure enjoyed by the population has to be experienced to be believed.
Stephen.

Here in Nebraska we get a swing from about -15 or -20 to 110+
in the course of most years. I'd choose the heat over the cold
any day.

Brian Austin said:

Hey Brian - Im in GRR, drop me a line if you want to meet up.

I've heard so many times form AZ folks that "it's a dry heat" so it's not as bad. I spent a few days in Phoenix in July when it reached 120 during the day and I beg to differ.

In the southeast with our muggy heat (95 degrees and 85% humidity) when your body sweats it tends to cling to your body and when you get a breeze you go "Ahhhhhhhhhh". IN AZ your sweat evaporates real quick. I stood talking to clients in a pool for about 2 hours and it felt like somebody was standing there with a blow drier aimed at me. :rofl:

Anyone who enjoys 100F+ heat is not human, they are a lizard.

Cheers,

-Andrew
in boston where it is beautiful 63F

Flyboy said:
I stood talking to clients in a pool for about 2 hours

It's a tough job but someone has to do it. :)

greg

Richard said:
Yeah, well CA's central coast is fast disappearing as the place to be. It wasn't too long ago the folks in the next county, let alone those in the big city, had never heard of your town but now the secret is out and city folks are flocking here in droves. The worst of it is they're bringing their attitudes too. (A small town isn't a city only smaller) Oh, I guess it'll still be worth visiting for some time to come but when you've lived in an area for some time it's sometimes heartbreaking to watch it morph into an appendage of a big city.

I get up to SLO town every now and again. Seems pretty much the same as when I lived there in '81. Some growth, but nothing compared to SoCa.

jkaduk said:
I get up to SLO town every now and again. Seems pretty much the same as when I lived there in '81. Some growth, but nothing compared to SoCa.

The county population has more than doubled since '81. The county seat population is 280% of what it was in '81. More than half the population has lived here less than 10 years. Some growth.

N2212R said:
Hey Brian - Im in GRR, drop me a line if you want to meet up.
I'll be down at Festival all weekend except Saturday afternoon/evening, when I'm visiting Mom up in Croton. We're leaving on Monday morning. This is a quick trip. If you're going to be in downtown GRR at Festival, we can meet up somewhere. PM me if so and I'll PM my cell number to you.

Back