GA Hijacking

wildb

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
wildb
Has there ever been a GA hijacking and how did that go down?

Dude got shot a bunch of times... (was a failed hijacking)

My solo:

In the morning, some guy with a T-shirt that said "Show me the money!" robbed a bank near my house. Took hostages, made them strip down to their underwear, zip tied them al! together, then walked the bunch to a minivan while he stayed inside the group. Made one of them drive while he was shooting at the cops. Local TV chopper guy was filming. They drove to KOJC, only a couple miles away, and stopped on the ramp. He got out with one of the hostages and ran to a 172 doing a runup. CFI and student were getting ready for an XC. He had to let go of the hostage so he could grab the left side door handle (resulting in a charge of attempted air piracy). Hostage ran, CFI pulled the mixture, CFI and student dove out the right side door, and cops blew a bunch ief extra holes in the dumbass.

Airport was closed all day. I called every hoir until it reopened and ran over to meet my CFI. Did a couple of turns, then did my solo flights. The news guys were set up so they could get shots of the airport behind the reporters. So that airplane in the background during the evening news was me doing my first solo.

There have probably been other cases.

Here is a recently released video of a hijacked helicopter jailbreak in Canada. They got away initially, but were apprehended later. (See a complete list of such cases.)

Last edited:
Not an aircraft hijack, but I still remember when Mike Silva basically landed the local TV station's JetRanger on the hood of a hijacked vehicle to stop it, like it was yesterday.
(It was 1988...)

He was a lot better pilot than Karen Key...
https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AIBAJ&sjid=uVUDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5249,4723316&hl=en

But eventually Denver went "full boring" and all the stations share a leased photo platform now. I guess all the crashes got too expensive.
http://www.denverpost.com/television/ci_14385726

The footage certainly is "full boring" these days, anyway. Kinda fun to flip channels and see how they split up the time. Same shot, same helicopter, same reporter, supposedly "competitive" TV and radio stations. Haha... yeah... whatever. Not so much anymore.

In the late 1990's a jail inmate on work release came over to the Boulder airport and talked his way into a free Cessna intro flight. They flew over to Erie and landed and he pulled a knife on the CFI and said get out, he was taking the plane. She got out and he flew the plane until he ran out of fuel in Oklahoma, where they found the plane in a field. I never did hear the end of that one.

Back