GA Formation Flying

demo601

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
demo601
I'm looking to eventually do some formation hops with a buddy of mine in PA28-140 Cherokee's.

I have yet to do such in an aircraft (besides being a backseater in RV-8's), however I have hundreds of hours on top of the line military flight simulators flying formation. I understand the physics of formation flying more than most people, not trying to brag on myself.

Any words of wisdom? I know the Van's guys like to do plenty of formation but I have not seen much attempts out there in Cherokees.

I'd assume if we are working in controlled airspace, we would just let them know "flight of two", and the wing aircraft has his transponder off and ATC would just work the leader's aircraft, knowing we are a flight of two. We'd likely "practice" for a lack of a better term, at altitude straight and level in uncontrolled airspace. Lead being the only one transmitting a VFR code and myself following on a wing.

My question is - should we use hand signals, or have our own frequency? I know several formation organizations do hand signals, such of which I am foreign to but would like to learn.

I am very safety conscious especially thinking about flying formation, so I just wanted to get any extra pointers or words of advice from members here before we plan on going out and attempting a "formation".

Thanks,

Start here. This is even worse than self teaching yourself how to weld in your hangar.
https://www.ocpilots.org/Docs/Formation/FFI/FFI Manual.pdf

"FAST" certification, for starters would be good, particularly if you have not had the experience in the mil.

Lastly be courteous about public airports. Most PVT-ASELs have no idea what to expect from you. Your own airport-->no problem!

It's been done in Cherokees. I flew in the first Pipers to Oshkosh. Lynn did one recently.

My advice? Don't do it.

Long story of mine going pretty bad.

Follow what Bruce says.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

If you're really interested, spend the 10 bucks for the T-34 formation flying manual on this page:

http://www.t-34.com/store/merchandise_manuals.asp

It is the starting point for most civilian formation groups. There are a lot of key points in there which will help you understand the complexity, risk, and personal focus inherent in formation flying.

Once you've read that, it is time to look for a formation clinic in your area.

A great deal of fun with proper training.

Granted you are a Cherokee and there for a low wing, but there is a rule about never turning away from lead in the t-34 manual. Those of us with wings on the right side of the plane need to reverse that, you don't want to loose the other plane behind your wing!

Also before you take off stand on the ramp and look at the other plane from where you intend to fly. Get the picture before you go fly.

Good advice above. Get the materials and study them. Then contact Stu McCurdy at FFI (google will locate him in Round Rock TX) to find a clinic near you to learn how to do it safely. This is definitely not something you can safely teach yourself.

Thank you all for your replies. I will definitely look into the manuals. I'm pretty particular about safety. I think formation can be fun and rewarding, but I'm not content having issues in the process.

Looks like most operations are done with the T-34 - Always loved the Mentor and the operations in which they do for formation. Hope to have one someday once the billfold becomes more thick.

Thanks again for all the input!

The training methodology often used is based on work done in the Mentor but is regularly applied to other types.

I think the point was that self-study of the topic and craft are much riskier than finding an organization that utilizes proper training materials and techniques to teach formation flying.

There are pockets of type-specific groups, often with military trained instructors, who fly all sorts of types in formation regularly. If you're lucky enough to live close by, you can join them.

The various "mass arrival" groups that fly into Oshkosh also hold clinics for their pilots as well. Those are only basic primer courses and the formation is usually very loose, but it's a start.

Thank you all for your replies. I will definitely look into the manuals. I'm pretty particular about safety. I think formation can be fun and rewarding, but I'm not content having issues in the process.

Looks like most operations are done with the T-34 - Always loved the Mentor and the operations in which they do for formation. Hope to have one someday once the billfold becomes more thick.

Thanks again for all the input!

If you send me a PM with your email address I can email you a formation manual for free (I recently attended a formation event, it was given to me for free, not sure if they charge for it but I don't think so).

Back