GA fields close to JFK?

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
A good buddy of mine is looking to fly to a GA airport close to JFK and drop off a pax who will then need to get to JFK. He was advised not to fly into JFK due to the time frames he will be flying and the congestion at that particular time. FRG looks to be the closest. How would one get to JFK from FRG via ground? Is there a train? Can you get a cab? How much would it cost. Is HPN a better bet or another airport?

Adam,

I used to fly into TEB a lot when I had friends who lived in Hoboken. I did it VFR and never had any problems. Yeah its busy, yeah the controllers are swamped, but just get a Terminal Area Chart, know the frequencies, use ATC FF or go IFR. Tht being said I used to fly in of Fridays and leave Sat or Sunday and weekends are less busy. Lately I've been reading about more people going into HPN. I had meetings in Norwalk, CT when I use to live in Philly so flew to HPN instead of driving. Worked out very well. Then there's Linden, which I've never done, but hear is OK too.

There's no really direct way of getting to JFK from the nearby GA airports short of renting a car or taking a cab, but that can be expensive.

Linden (LDJ) might not be a bad choice. I've never flown there (only a few hours into my PP training) but I've heard that it's not hard to get a short cab ride to the train station. So you could take the train into NYC (Penn Station) and then head right out from there on the LIRR and change at Jamaica for the AirTrain to JFK.

You could probably get a cab from Republic (FRG) to one of the train stations there, too, and take that the other way to Jamaica and get the AirTrain.

Fly into FRG and get the FBO (or local cab) to take you to Long Island Rail Road.
Take LIRR to Jamaica, and then take Air Train to JFK.
Figure travel time of one hour.
This is the only way to do this that makes any sense at all.

Believe me. I know.

I concur with Rob. FRG is a good airport, and the folks at Sheltair will be glad to take you to the LIRR (at least, they've been glad to take me to the LIRR in the past). Don't forget to tip them! Then LIRR to AirTrain.

My question is if it's really worth it to go via flying - it'll be a big hassle to get to JFK with the public transit. If I had to go to JFK and wasn't going to fly in direct, I'd just drive it from where I am in PA. It would take the same amount of time, and I wouldn't have to deal with the hassles of public transit. I have done this in the past.

My question is if it's really worth it to go via flying - it'll be a big hassle to get to JFK with the public transit. If I had to go to JFK and wasn't going to fly in direct, I'd just drive it from where I am in PA. It would take the same amount of time, and I wouldn't have to deal with the hassles of public transit. I have done this in the past.

I'm sorry, did you ask "is it really worth it to go via flying"? surley you didn't ask that question. The answer is who cares its clearly more fun and the pax not the pilot has to get to JFK. ;) So for the pilot you betcha its worth flying. just be quiet and don't say any thing to the pax:no:

Hi Adam..

I wonder if you could consider adjusting the landing time a little to avoid the major rush at JFK ? I flew into JFK a few years ago and had no problem at all with traffic, airspace, controllers or parking. There is a GA terminal that is right on the side of 13R / 31L very easy to get to if they are landing on those runways. The landing fee was $25 and good for a few hours if I remember correctly. From the GA FBO you can get a cab or maybe even the airport bus to take them to their terminal.

This is a great mission to go into Kennedy ! You should try to do it..

Good luck.

For JFK, I would recommend FRG. Sheltair is awesome and will give you a crew car no problem. If it was LGA, I would recommend HPN probably. If you want any local advise, feel free to have him e-mail me. I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Getting into JFK is a PITA unless it's during the middle of the night just about.

Hell Adam. Fly into Northeast Philly (KPNE) from Wings, rent a car and drive or take the train. :D

30th street station is your friend.......

I'm surprised no one mentioned Islip (ISP)?

It's 40 minute drive to JFK (non-rush hour), but is GA friendly.

FRG is 1/2 way, so certainly closer.

ISP is much farther out, so really doesn't make sense for getting to JFK.

Also, Ted, this really does make sense. Traffic on the Belt is gawdawful just about any time of day, and the Verrezano-SIE is such a friking nightmare traffic wise, that flying over sounds awful appealing.

Can you tell I work right next to JFK?

ISP is much farther out, so really doesn't make sense for getting to JFK.

Also, Ted, this really does make sense. Traffic on the Belt is gawdawful just about any time of day, and the Verrezano-SIE is such a friking nightmare traffic wise, that flying over sounds awful appealing.

Can you tell I work right next to JFK?

Well, now I know you're a New Yorker.. to city-dwellers Islip may as well be the moon!

:rolleyes:

(FWIW, I was born in Shirley, lived in Brooklyn, until my family moved to the "country" -- Belleville, NJ)

Last edited:
Dan you lived in Belleville, My wife lived there after college. Tight little town holding the line against Newark. I remember those triangle shaped buns the they put hotdogs and fries in. Only place I ever saw them was Belleville. I also recall a chick place in Belleville right on the boarder with Newark. it was in a store front and they had the chickens in the coops in the storefront nextdoor. I'm trying to think of the name I think it was Savoy or something like that.

Dan you lived in Belleville, My wife lived there after college. Tight little town holding the line against Newark. I remember those triangle shaped buns the they put hotdogs and fries in. Only place I ever saw them was Belleville. I also recall a chick place in Belleville right on the boarder with Newark. it was in a store front and they had the chickens in the coops in the storefront nextdoor. I'm trying to think of the name I think it was Savoy or something like that.

Hmm.. doesn't ring a bell...

Though I do remember the Italian Ice and Hot Dog place on Belleville Ave.

I lived there from age 5 to 11 -- then we moved to Hillside. We lived in Branch Brook, one of the early NJ apartment/townhouse complexes.

There were trees along the street so that made it "the country."

"I'm from Joisey... you from Joisey? What exit?"

:D

Belleville ain't what it used to be, I hear, but then again, when I tell people I live in Newark, they are usually shocked that I don't live in B'ville, Down Neck, or the Ironbound (I live in the south-central part of the city)... :rolleyes:

"I'm from Joisey... you from Joisey? What exit?"

:D

Belleville ain't what it used to be, I hear, but then again, when I tell people I live in Newark, they are usually shocked that I don't live in B'ville, Down Neck, or the Ironbound (I live in the south-central part of the city)... :rolleyes:

I'm shocked!

:hairraise:

I graduated from Hillside High - So I sorta made the tour de Newark -- Belleville, Bloomfield, Hillside, Elizabeth (we moved a lot).

A buddy of mine is an FBI Agent working out of Newark...

Oh the stories...

Well, now I know you're a New Yorker.. to city-dwellers Islip may as well be the moon!

:rolleyes:

(FWIW, I was born in Shirley, lived in Brooklyn, until my family moved to the "country" -- Belleville, NJ)

Haha! Well I don't REALLY live in the city since I'm out in Jamaica Queens. :frog:

One of these days I'll get around to moving to Bklyn.

It all depends on what the goal is, if the goal is to have an excuse to fly, then of course it's worth it. :D I was more posing the question. Part of the problem with flying into New York City is that, depending on where you're going, there is usually not a convenient airport. To fly to my mom's house in Manhattan takes me just as much time as driving. So, I've flown it before (going both to HPN and FRG), but in the future I think I'm only going to bother if I'm just going to pick my mom up and fly her out to my house.

I was born and raised in New York City, so I'm fully aware of the traffic in and around JFK, but it also wasn't stated what time of day or day of the flight was going to be. If it's busy, though, it probably does make sense. :)

I'm also from Manhattan... the other four boroughs (and the rest of the state) just don't count. ;)

I'm also from Manhattan... the other four boroughs (and the rest of the state) just don't count. ;)

That statement proves you're from NY!

:)

Our Corp HQ is near Islip. My sis lives on the island, too.

If you ask a real longuylinder why they live where it's so crowded, so expensive, so over-developed, etc, they'll invariably say, "...plus we're so near the city!"

A bit later, ask the native, "So when was the last time you were in the city?"

"Are you kidding! I never go there!"

I have a co-worker in LI who will take the Port Jeff ferry to CT to drive west.

Back