G3X and GTN field syncrhonisation

Pierre Baillargeon

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Kamarad-P28A
I’m owner of a Piper Cherookee PA-28-151, 1975.

It’s already equipped with a GTN 750 navigator and a piggyback GMA remote audio panel and intercom. I’m consider installing a G3X unit and a GFC 500 Autopilot. I will also replace the existing transponder by an ADS-B in/out unit. A G5 or GI 275 as a backup attitude indicator will also be included in the project.

I try to find information on how G3X and GTN 750 unit sync their data. In particular, I want to know if it’s possible to change the following field on both units with automatic sync or If I have to select only one unit either the GTN or the G3X to perform those functions? The fields I’m interested in includes Radio frequency selection (COM and NAV), Audio panel, Intercom selection, transponder, Flight plan & VNAV profile (I understand from a Garmin video that the G3X can display a flight plan entered in GTN but without airways identification, just the waypoints). Is it also possible to sync traffic display and weather data on both units?

No, you can’t see traffic & weather on both, so for g3x get 52R, for 750 get 88 or 84, I assume they can share a single antenna.
Or get the G500 and not have to duplicate functionality.
The Garmin experimental division is like a separate company from the Garmin certified division.
Not to mention the transfer of a flight plan will be as expected.
The downside will be you’ll lose redundancy of the G3X/G5 driving the autopilot. Not sure if G500 fully supports the autopilot, definitely something to check.

Thanks, I will look at those options for weather and traffic.
Noted that G500 can provide better data sync and accurate flight plan display.
I think Garmin announced that G500 through GI 275 can drive GFC 500 autopilot so to investigage.

Yes, the 275 will drive the GFC500

Rough guess 275+G500 will be about $7500 more expensive than G3X+G5 but you won’t have to buy redundant hardware…so in the end probably just a few thousands difference.
In my case I have a GTN 650 which I never use to view weather, so I will have G3X+Aera+iPad to show weather and traffic, not really worth it to get it on the smaller 650 screen.

Imo the 275+g500 solution Is less capable than the g3x.

Just today I flew a plane with g3x and GTN750 and they both showed traffic and weather from a gtx345, and of course all the radio stuff can be controlled by either g3x or GTN and they cross fill.

Last edited:
Rough guess 275+G500 will be about $7500 more expensive than G3X+G5 but you won’t have to buy redundant hardware…so in the end probably just a few thousands difference.
thanks for the feedback, I will explore both options.

I flew a plane with g3x and GTN750 and they both showed traffic and weather from a gtx345, and of course all the radio stuff can be controlled by either g3x or GTN and they cross fill.
Interesting, the GTX 345R remote transpondeur (to be driven from GTN 750 interface) with ADS-B in-out was also on my list. Good to know they share traffic, weather and radio control. I assume it is the same for radio panel (in the GMA remoted to the GTN) and intercom...

Interesting, the GTX 345R remote transpondeur (to be driven from GTN 750 interface) with ADS-B in-out was also on my list. Good to know they share traffic, weather and radio control. I assume it is the same for radio panel (in the GMA remoted to the GTN) and intercom...
The GTN750 will control the GTX345 and also the GMA35c or GMA350 audio panel.

We have this configuration in our182P

240FFB00-2FEC-4C1D-A6E1-E0F92A3EFDD3.jpeg

All of the Garmin units do "talk" to one another and when something is inputted on one, the result is shown on the others.

ADSB-In info comes in via the transponder and can be displayed on the GTN, G3X, and connected iPad. Squawk codes can be inputted on the G3X and will update the transponder when you press enter.

ForeFlight can connect to the G3X to get data and push flight plans to the system

and much, much more. This combo is an amazing system.

Folks local to DFW are are welcome to reach out and arrange a time to see it in action.

Thanks Michael for this detailed answer. Definitively, my panel will look similar to yours except the GTN 750 with GMA (radio panel remote) will be used in place of your GPS. What is the advantage of keeping an old ILS VOR if you have already the G3 and the G5 ? For the engine information, I think I will integrate this on the G3X.

What is the advantage of keeping an old ILS VOR if you have already the G3 and the G5
The group wouldn’t budge on spending to upgrade radio #2. Budget was already at pre-discussed limits and not going with a GNC255 was the compromise.

I don’t know if the KX155 can tie into and be displayed on the new Garmin items. My guess is no which is why our panel is the what is shown.

Back