G3

bgdriveway

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
bgdriveway
In the midst of my wishful thinking about buying a plane (I'm getting close) I ran across this....

http://www.insightavionics.com/g3.htm

Previous to seeing the G3, I had always figured I'd find a plane with a JPI in it, or put one in myself. I'm quite impressed with the additional features they have put into this unit besides CHT/EGT. The G3 can be used to replace your OEM engine gauges. (Which last I heard, the JPI couldn't, but I don't know if that's changed.) And the STC covers many to most of the GA fleet.

You can also connect it to your GPS. (And their airborne weather/wind device if you want. Another $3K + install costs, nice, but I don't know about it.)

I like JPI but Insight jumped way ahead of JPI or EI with this, IMO. When I do buy a plane, I think I'm going to budget an extra $3K to put this in. The basic price of a 4 cyl JPI is about $1700, but by time you add the fuel flow, etc to the JPI you're in the 3K range anyway.

Anyone ever used one?

Anyone know if they are offering a reduced price for upgrading an existing Insight GEM unit? I've been looking at purchasing a plane with a GEM, and the G3 does look very nice.

Back