G1000

Mpeavler

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Mike Peavler
Guys,
I've got a question that I've yet to find in my resources regarding flying Victor airways. I have a sim version at home for the G1000 but it must be too old a version to allow showing the victor routes or something cause I simply cannot find where you can turn this function on.

My question is if you are given a victor airway route from a VOR ...I simply goto the VOR then goto OBS mode to track out the victor airway. Is there a way to add a victor airway into the flight plan so you don't have to switch back and forth with the GFC 700 and or KP140? I have even looked through a great book I bought about 2 years ago "Max Trescotts G1000" and nothing is posted in there on tracking the airways in the flight plan?

Thanks,
Mike

If you're flying a Cessna airplane equipped with the G1000, you can load victor (or jet) airways into your flight plan by entering the entry fix, clicking the outer FMS knob to the right once, hitting LD AWY, selecting the airway, and then selecting the exit fix. Airways were introduced to the G1000 Cessna fleet during the July 2007 software revision (and are included in subsequent software revisions). You'd be surprised how many G1000-proficient pilots don't know the airway trick, even though it has existed for a while now. The story I got behind this was that it was more cost effective for Cessna to have Garmin maintain a common database to be used throughout the fleet after the addition of the Mustang (which required airways) than to maintain two databases, one for the Mustang and one for the rest of the fleet.

If you're not flying a Cessna aircraft (with the exception of some larger twins that use the G1000), then you have to manually load the fixes along the airway based on the enroute chart.

Best,

Last edited:
You can't enter the actual airway but you can enter the VORs the airway is between or fixes en route along the airway.

If the system is set up to display the airways, you can fly along them but it's best to utilize the actual VORs so you have more precise verification of your position. If you're assigned an airway, utilize the VORs it is based on. If you're database is current, program a flight plan with the VORs but still keep the VORs tuned and I'D along the way as a backup.

Bottom line is it depends on your rev of the software. Later versions do have airways in the flight planning database, so you can do what Jason said above. Older version? Punch in the appropriate waypoints off the chart.

Edit: I believe (and will confirm this weekend) that Diamonds, Mooneys and other types also now have airways. Gonna get to check out the synthetic vision in the new DA40 XLS too!

Bottom line is it depends on your rev of the software. Later versions do have airways in the flight planning database, so you can do what Jason said above. Older version? Punch in the appropriate waypoints off the chart.
On the Skyhawks we have, they are a couple revisions behind. I suspect most of the rentals out there will be as well. Approaching $300k, it's getting far too pricey to put the new Skyhawks on the line for schools and FBO rentals.

On the Skyhawks we have, they are a couple revisions behind. I suspect most of the rentals out there will be as well. Approaching $300k, it's getting far too pricey to put the new Skyhawks on the line for schools and FBO rentals.

At this point, a few revisions behind should still include the airways, but maybe it doesn't. Everything I've flown at the flight school I rent from has the latest revisions. The revision made in version 563.03 also includes many other improvements listed in SB07-34-02. Also note that the airway function I described earlier only works when creating a flight plan on the MFD. Airway functionality doesn't exist in the PFD.

SB07-34-02 said:
REASON

To provide a software upgrade for the Garmin G1000 System that includes the following changes:

Garmin Aerial Navigation Product Alert - Service Alert 070227-00 Resolution: Cessna Service Bulletin

SB07-25-03, Garmin G1000 Arrival and Departure Procedures Software Alert, transmitted Garmin’s Service Alert. These documents communicated the requirement to remove the active arrival or departure procedure
prior to loading a new arrival or departure procedure. Compliance with this Service Bulletin (SB07-34-02) by loading software version 563.03 will no longer require the manual method to remove the active arrival or
departure procedure as described above. Compliance with Garmin Service Bulletin No.: 0708 Revision A, AFM/AFMS Limitation for G1000 Systems, is not required as software version 563.03 includes the 8.02 software for the PFD/MFD units.

Garmin GDL-69A XM® Radio/Weather System: Reference Cessna Service Newsletter SNL07-1/Garmin

Service Advisory NO.: 0613 concerning the storm cell tracking limitation. The greater than 400 storm cells issue is resolved with this software upgrade. Enhancements are also provided for the pilot’s interface with the system.

Reversionary Mode Timing: Displays enter reversionary mode automatically and require 5 seconds of normal operation before returning to normal display mode to prevent possible reversionary mode cycling events
(change affects both automatic and manual reversionary mode).

Reversionary Mode Inset Map: Added functionality to the PFD/MFD reversionary mode to show the Inset Map if selected.

Barometric Altitude Minimum: Enable aural alert for this function.

Alternate Transponder Code Entry Procedure: Provides the pilot with another way to enter transponder codes by using the FMS knob in addition to the existing softkey code method.

VHF COM Transmit Indications: Enabled RX and SQ indicators to be visible in the same location as the TX indicator when the specific VHF COM is either transmitting “TX”, receiving with automatic squelch active “RX” or when manual squelch is open “SQ”.

Track Vector: Added the ability to adjust the look ahead time for the track vector.

Victor Airways: Added Victor Airways to the flight plan capability.

TAWS-B System: Changes incorporated to reduce nuisance alerts. Added an “INHIBIT” softkey when on the TAWS Map Page for inhibiting TAWS-B aural alerts. Refer to SB06-34-03 Revision 1 (or latest revision).
MFD Splash Screen For Aviation Database Status: Refined the display format of the aviation database name, version, and effective dates. This also affects the display format for Land, Obstacle, Terrain, SafeTaxi, FliteCharts and Jeppesen ChartView databases if installed.

Auto-Acknowledge Aural Alert: Configuration changes to ensure aural alerts are provided at system power-on.

Fuel Calibration: Revised the Fuel Calibration Page in the G1000 Configuration Mode.

The following changes were incorporated on model year 2007 Nav III airplanes and are provided as new changes to all Nav III equipped airplanes that are in compliance with Service Bulletin SB06-34-02 or
SB06-34-02 Revision 1: Garmin G1000 System Software Update:

Jeppesen ChartView: Added support for the optional installation of the Jeppesen electronic terminal procedures charts known as ChartView. Refer to SB07-34-01 Revision 1 (or latest revision).

Garmin SafeTaxi & FliteCharts: Added support for Garmin SafeTaxi and FliteChart electronic chart products. Refer to SB07-34-04 (or latest revision).

XM Radio Interface: Added the ability for inner and outer FMS knobs to input the channel number on the XM radio page. Added provisions for indicating on the XM radio page if the GDL 69 unit fails. Added map
panning capability of altitude information for cloud tops on the weather datalink page and text instructions for the LOCK softkey on the XM information page. The XM activation page will now dynamically update the
presence of the radio softkey based upon whether the XM radio signal is present or not. The XM signal strength status indicator has been added to aid in diagnostics. Added age information in all the maps that could depict the data link weather. Current Track Bug: Feature added to display the airplane's current track on the HSI. Wind Data Window: Includes an additional wind data window to provide various formats of wind magnitude, direction, crosswind and headwind components.

Vertical Navigation: Added support for assigning altitude constraints with vertical waypoints to give vertical navigation guidance.

Barometric Altitude Minimum: New functionality added for setting a minimum descent altitude.

Transponder GND Softkey: Added a transponder GND softkey to allow manual selection of Ground Mode.

Traffic Information Service (TIS): Enhanced TIS functionality by disabling TIS on the ground to avoid nuisance alerts, and allow muting of the TIS Not Available (TNA) alert by use of a new TNA MUTE softkey.

Temporary Flight Restrictions (TFR) Display: Enhanced highlighting of waypoints beneath some TFR's and TFR highlighting while using the map pointer.

ADF Superflag: Added support for the ADF relative bearing pointer display to be shown when an ADF Superflag signal is sensed and removal of bearing pointer when signal is low.

Software & Configuration Loading: Enhanced and simplified the software loading procedures.

LRU Port Info: Added increased diagnostic support in configuration mode to allow quicker verification of operating or failed data paths.

ARINC 424 Database Leg Types: Added support for these procedures to be displayed on the MFD.

Thanks...I feel liike a pretty darn G1000-proficient pilot overall...I do fly a G1000 Equiped T182 most of my "IFR" time now. I was trained on steam and then did the courses on the G1000 down in Orlando. I do remember a few planes they "KORL" had....did have the airways avaliable for viewing. Thanks again for the responses!

Mike

I checked and the Cessna Sim which has the 172, 182, 206 "both turbo and non" are is on a 2006 revision and I guess I will have to buy the new sim if I desired to get those for practice use. $25 from Garmin get's you the latest. I'm not sure how many people have used this factory sim...but I will say it keeps you very good at moving through the various things if you don't fly for a few weeks to a month.
M

I checked and the Cessna Sim which has the 172, 182, 206 "both turbo and non" are is on a 2006 revision and I guess I will have to buy the new sim if I desired to get those for practice use. $25 from Garmin get's you the latest. I'm not sure how many people have used this factory sim...but I will say it keeps you very good at moving through the various things if you don't fly for a few weeks to a month.
M

The newer version of the sim works pretty well. I bought a new copy back in August and it works well and has all of the new features, including GFC700 functionality.

Best,

Jason,
Yeah with the NAV III I assume the non-specific verison. I'm going to order a copy next week once the hype of Xmas slows down and the ease of shipping and receiving is easier!

M

Mike,
Thank you for buying my Max Trescott's G1000 Glass Cockpit Handbook. If you bought it two years ago, you have a 1st edition, and Airways were not available at that time. They are included in the latest edition, released in March, 2008. Look for "with WAAS" in the title or "3rd Edition" on the cover to make sure that you're getting the latest edition. And have fun flying the G1000. I'm usually up in one 3-4 times a week and love it.
Max Trescott
www.maxtrescott.com

Mike,
Thank you for buying my Max Trescott's G1000 Glass Cockpit Handbook. If you bought it two years ago, you have a 1st edition, and Airways were not available at that time. They are included in the latest edition, released in March, 2008. Look for "with WAAS" in the title or "3rd Edition" on the cover to make sure that you're getting the latest edition. And have fun flying the G1000. I'm usually up in one 3-4 times a week and love it.
Max Trescott
www.maxtrescott.com
:rofl: Max, were your ears burning? Welcome to the board!

I can remember sharing a few messages with you back in 2006 on another board when I was working on my IR at Lanier Flight Center. They never did sell your book back then. I don't know if they do now.

It is available where I'm teaching now and I push it. I'm trying to talk the owner's son who runs the shop into getting your software on hand. We have the full Frasca Mentor trainer but more would be helpful. I'm also trying to get him to send the King junk back or discount them as Frisbees. That training package is a joke and still feel ripped off on the cost.

You've got several fans on the board because of your book. Of course, you went and did that "CFI of the Year" thing, or whatever that was about. Maybe I should send my August `08 Mentor for you to autograph? :)

Max, Merry Christmas and again, welcome to the board!

Welcome aboard, Max! Hope you'll frequent this place, because it's one of the best aviation front porches out there!

Mike,
Max Trescott
www.maxtrescott.com

Max,

Welcome aboard! It's a pleasure to have you join this group.

Max,
Thanks for the response. I have read the book front to back 2 times now from the time I purchased it. It's a great book and I certainly have got my money out of the book for sure. It's highly pushed at the "KORL" school I did my IR rating on. Air Orlando basically almost requires it for anyone doing the G1000 transition course. I may pick up round 2 of the book if it has the newer info.

Thanks again!

Mike Peavler

Another good reason for ordering the latest version of the Garmin G1000 Trainer software is that it supports dual monitors... you can have the PFD and MFD up at the same time, side by side, sharing the same flight plan and information... :)

Now when are they gonna add airways to the 430W? :dunno:

In a word -- never. The 430 series is at the end of its development. They aren't going to waste programming on it, even though victor airways were a huge addition to the G1000. I've spent the last week reacquainting myself with the joys of entering waypoints from my paper chart into 430 flight plans.:nonod:

In a word -- never. The 430 series is at the end of its development. They aren't going to waste programming on it, even though victor airways were a huge addition to the G1000.

I don't buy that - There are still way too many old airplanes out there, and Garmin has the G600 glass for retrofit into them, and it gets its navigation from a 430 or 530. I think the 430/530 series is going to be around for a long time.

They're also definitely still "wasting programming" on them, at least the W's - We've had at least one pretty big software update since we got the W upgrade. And somebody (Troy, I think?) posted something a while back about them working on airways for the 430/530 W's.

Back