G1000 wow wow wow

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
Well just call me turncoat. First, it was my first flight in a DA-20 - well I was ready to give up high wings for good.

Then yesterday it was my flight to Farmville with a 99er who had bought herself a brand new 182 from the factory last year with every bell and whistle on it. G1000, Nexrad weather, XM radio, etc etc. also autopilot, which she engaged and was neat to watch. Look Ma no hands!

I told myself well beforehand- no way would I buy a plane with this, sure they may be nifty but I like steam gauges.

Well I just got pulled into the 21st century yesterday. My gosh was that cool. I want one!

I could barely take my eyes off of it (still a good reason not to use it for primary training!). You can tell where the wind is coming from, with the helpful arrow graphic and speed right there... you can see traffic coming in - how high, direction, etc... (Q here - traffic with transponder on, sure - anything else a requirement for it to "see" traffic? I can see how this could give you false comfort, there had to have been other traffic out there we didn't see on the display.. right?). The plane is encircled, just like a VOR, with the radials coming off it so you know at all times which direction it is heading. You can make the display zoom in, zoom out (duh). You could see terrain and how high it was by color, just like the regular map - if it is RED - look out (and what was funny is when we were sitting on the ground it was ALL red - pull up, pull up!). It was pretty nifty to watch her set in the various checkpoints we had along the way and then just follow the drawn line. (LDN first, but south turn at Upperville airport... next GVE and then at that point direct to FVX). It made it all seem so very easy.

Does Garmin make the same GPS panel to put in your regular steam gauge planes? By this I do not mean "replace steam gauges" - I mean, steam gauges left seat, but the whole big pretty GPS panel on the other side - with the same functions, and so on? Or does it really all have to be integrated - so you gotta buy a plane with the G1000 in it?

Note to anyone who followed my flight plan questions - I NAILED it. dead on. I made the plan, brought my sectional (not TAC, as it was only good for half the flight) and followed along outside and via the G1000. I had the times dead on - within 30 seconds each time. go me!

Elizabeth,

The Traffic Information Service (TIS) on the G1000 is a data link fed by the FAA approach radar in the area, so in order for it to work you have to be in an area where the FAA has radar that actually feeds the data. Because of this, the actual position shown on the G1000 is where the airplane was several seconds ago, and coverage varies around the country. Many of the Class B areas do this, but not all, and the number is actually dropping.

What will replace it is either:

TCAS - where you have a transponder interrogator on your airplane that electronically says "Any traffic in the area, please advise" and can measure the strength of the responding signals to determine distance, get the mode c altitude to determine the other airplane's altitude, and the receiving antennas also determine direction. Very expensive for GA at the moment, though prices are coming down.

ADS-B, where airplanes broadcast their lat/lon and altitude and other details, and thus all equipped airplanes know about all other equipped airplanes.

Bottom line on that is you still need your mod one mark zero eyeball(s) to do traffic avoidance when VFR,

Also, if you have an airplane that's certified with the G1000, you can have it retrofitted at significant cost. The G1000 is an integrated system, so you get both panels. Garmin makes a retrofit system for other airplanes that they are working to get approved for different models, but it's also expensive. They also make the MX20 MultiFunction Display, which gives you nearly all the same things as the G1000 right hand panel, in a smaller unit, providing you buy the GPS/Stormscope/XM datalink/terrain database/Mode S transponder to feed it data.

Glad your plan worked out, 30 seconds is a very good result!

Best wishes,

glad you reminded me - I wore my polarized sunglasses for the heck of it. I had trouble spotting traffic and when I turned my head sideways - the G100 panel disappeared! couldn't see a thing - all black.

why you don't wear polarized sunglasses.

smigaldi said:
There is supposed to be a six pack replacement but I don't think it is out yet. It is called the G600 and does not have the radio integration buyilt into it. http://www.garmin.com/products/g600/

But I'll stick with the six packs for now. I like looking out the window at the beauty below :)

Man, those G600's must be huge if they block all the windows! :rofl:

woodstock said:
Well just call me turncoat. First, it was my first flight in a DA-20 - well I was ready to give up high wings for good.

Then yesterday it was my flight to Farmville with a 99er who had bought herself a brand new 182 from the factory last year with every bell and whistle on it. G1000, Nexrad weather, XM radio, etc etc. also autopilot, which she engaged and was neat to watch. Look Ma no hands!

I told myself well beforehand- no way would I buy a plane with this, sure they may be nifty but I like steam gauges.

Well I just got pulled into the 21st century yesterday. My gosh was that cool. I want one!

Elizabeth: Add together everything you like about the DA20, and everything you liked about that 182, and you get the DA40. You must try to find one to fly, I'm sure you'll absolutely love it. Bring your checkbook. ;)

Does Garmin make the same GPS panel to put in your regular steam gauge planes? By this I do not mean "replace steam gauges" - I mean, steam gauges left seat, but the whole big pretty GPS panel on the other side - with the same functions, and so on? Or does it really all have to be integrated - so you gotta buy a plane with the G1000 in it?

Probably the closest thing to what you've described is a stack with a Garmin GNS 530 GPS, Garmin GTX 330 transponder, and GDL 69A XM datalink unit. That'll give you the moving map, traffic, weather, XM radio, and terrain (note that not every 530 has terrain, but if you get a plane without it, it's only a $600 upgrade - Pretty much a bargain in this biz.)

The screen is also only about 1/4 of the size of the G1000 screen. To get an MFD that big, you pretty much have to go with a full glass panel.

Finish your PPL, then buy and transition to a DA40. You'll love it. (Is there an echo in here?)

Note to anyone who followed my flight plan questions - I NAILED it. dead on. I made the plan, brought my sectional (not TAC, as it was only good for half the flight) and followed along outside and via the G1000. I had the times dead on - within 30 seconds each time. go me!

Good work! :yes:

http://www.diamondair.com/aircraft/da40_private/index.html

wow that sure is pretty... :)

and the range will get me to my house in SC without stopping for a fillup. :yes:

woodstock said:

and the range will get me to my house in SC without stopping for a fillup. :yes:

Like I said... Take the checkbook. :yes:

It sounds like there will be some DA40's at Gaston's next year. You coming?

woodstock said:

I cannot guarantee that it will remain at the field once it reaches SC. :D

DA40 sure is a nice airplane. The only caution to a new owner I can think of is being sure you can find a shop to work on the airplane - the engine and avionics are standard, of course, but repairing (and maybe inspecting?) the composite parts of the airplane may require tooling and training not locally available. Not a show-stopper except if you're going to be based far away from a service facility.

Not sure if I'll make it to Gastons? It's early June? I should be back from Italy by then, I'll try...

flyingcheesehead said:
Probably the closest thing to what you've described is a stack with a Garmin GNS 530 GPS, Garmin GTX 330 transponder, and GDL 69A XM datalink unit. That'll give you the moving map, traffic, weather, XM radio, and terrain (note that not every 530 has terrain, but if you get a plane without it, it's only a $600 upgrade - Pretty much a bargain in this biz.)l

The stack on our club 182 (see attachment) pretty much has the same capability along side of the steam gauges.

The MFD-550 displays moving map, terrain, traffic, and XM weather. The KLN94 is fully IFR capable, and the KAP140 autopilot is fully coupled and will fly beautiful ILS approaches.

Nice plane!!!

Attachments

• 152CFpanel_071106_123845.jpg
    152CFpanel_071106_123845.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 5
Back