G1000 VFR module

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Today's flight was the VFR module for the G1000. (I've done the video and APU modules.)

I'm feeling comfortable enough under VFR now, but I requested 5 hours in two lessons for the IFR module. I really don't think one lesson is going to be enough for me--at least not to feel completely familiar.

Here were some of my questions and observations. Anyone have similar experiences?

1. Found I was chasing the VSI and IAS tapes. I was warned by my CFI that this would happen, and sure enough . . . .
  2. The MFD had a bit of a reflective glare, and yes, it was turned up on full.
  3. We did some stalls, slow flight, etc. They went fine, but then we did steep turns. They sucked at first. My head was inside glued to the panel. (And yes, I'd done steep turns recently in a steam-gauge version, and they were ok.) Steep turns got better when I tore myself away from the panel.
  4. What do you like on the MFD map page? I had topo, traffic, XM weather, strike, and the course (of course).

All in all, a very good experience. Also it was nice that it was quite bumpy and windy. That's good practice, too.

I wish the C182 were available, but it won't be online until August, they believe.

1. Attitude controls airspeed. If you don't think so, fly a glider. Set your pitch attitude and check reference to the ASI. The ASI should be a cross check.
3. Steep turns with an outside reference? Why are you glued to the panel. Just check the slip skid. Yes is is nice to see the turn vector on the HSI move around.
4. As little as possible. In there is no weather around, why "strike" or XM weather, granted if there is no weather around, it should not display either.

1 and 3 responses: this is new for me. This is a transition. I have been flying for 9 years on the steam gauges.

Back