G1000 training

Greg Bockelman

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Bockelman
Anyone know of someone that can do G1000 training, specifically in or tailored to the Columbia/Cessna 350? Midwest, specifically Eastern IA, SW WI, NW IL.

Greg,
Skyline at Spirit of St. Louis (SUS St Louis) offers G1000 training in 172's and DA-40's. I used to work there as a mechanic. The owner wrote one of the G1000 manual packages you can buy, ASA I think. I don't know what else they offer G1000 wise in airplanes. www.skylineaero.com

Really need the training in a Columbia 350.
If you pick up the training in a 172, 182 or 206, most of that system will be applicable in any airplane with G-1000. About the only thing different will be actual engine management.

You can get a headstart by reading Max Trescott's book as well as the Garmin manual; free on their web site. Then, there's the new training software recently discussed on here.

The 206 is going to be about as close as you get but short of a 206 leaseback, I doubt you'll find anything to rent larger than a 182. Even so, that will get you quite close in learning the G-1000 avionics.

I feel pretty confident I can take my 70 hours in a Skyhawk NavIII and easily apply it to any other G-1000 avionics, including the Mustang.

Well, I have access to the airplane. I need an instructor that can instruct in it.

Well, I have access to the airplane. I need an instructor that can instruct in it.
I'd start by going through the books and learning the basics while finding a CFI who knows the G-1000. The biggest struggle for a CFI on the Columbia is going to be selecting and interpreting engine data but I don't see it all that much different.

I haven't flown the G-1000 with the GFC-700 but only with the KAP-140. I don't see much there to learn any more than learning the KAP-140 that was already in the Nav II birds. In many ways, manipulation will be easier during flight with the center pedestal control.

Your interpretation of the "six-pack" functions won't be any different than what you experience in that heavier bird you fly. Flight plan loading and planning is a breeze as is loading IAPs. Some things will be more integrated such as TAWS and TIS.

Maybe I'm over-simplifying it but to me there really isn't that much to learn. It's a 530 on steroids.

Maybe I'm over-simplifying it but to me there really isn't that much to learn. It's a 530 on steroids.

Well, I don't have any experience with the Garmin GPS's . But I am pretty familiar with how glass cockpits in general work. This would be more like transition training. No big deal, but I do need someone to guide me through it. I want to be that person in the future.

If you can't find someone, the simulator that Garmin offers for a nominal fee seems quite good, together with the documentation. With a bit of reading, the sim, and maybe 10 hours total, I knew the G1000 inside and out. It's a fairly intuitive system...

-Felix

Doesn't Scott (redcloud) have a Columbia? I don't know if it is G-1000 or not. He's not an instructor but maybe he could steer you in the right direction. I think he runs an FBO/flight school in Ohio.

Doesn't Scott (redcloud) have a Columbia? I don't know if it is G-1000 or not. He's not an instructor but maybe he could steer you in the right direction. I think he runs an FBO/flight school in Ohio.

Been suggested. I will ask next time I see him online.

The G1000/GFC700 is a BIG step up from the KAP140. You now have Vertical Navigation capabilities (in descent at the moment, possibly climbs in the future), airways in the flight plans, several new pitch autopilot modes, and a difference in how the nav system sequences through flight plans.

There's a reason the guide for the system is 400+ pages, it does quite a lot. You can of course fly it and not use many of it's abilities, people have done that for years in airplanes with GPS and autopilots. You'll be selling yourself short, though.

Garmin offers simulators for the various airframes. They're less than $30.00 and well worth it. Get the sim, download the book, fly a few "trips" and learn the system, then go up and get some dual. Be sure to focus on abnormals in the dual - instructors now have some overlays that fit on the G1000 to simulate failures, and they make a big difference in realistic training.

Well, I don't have any experience with the Garmin GPS's . But I am pretty familiar with how glass cockpits in general work. This would be more like transition training. No big deal, but I do need someone to guide me through it. I want to be that person in the future.
Greg,
I went through the Columbia factory training (when they used Avidyne) and I'm OK with the G1000.

You can get better people than I to come do training like Scott Dennestaedt.

I'd recommend Trescott's book, Garmin's simulator, even though the last version I got was painful to use, then a few hours with a knowledgable instructor.

Joe

The G1000/GFC700 is a BIG step up from the KAP140. You now have Vertical Navigation capabilities (in descent at the moment, possibly climbs in the future), airways in the flight plans, several new pitch autopilot modes, and a difference in how the nav system sequences through flight plans.

There's a reason the guide for the system is 400+ pages, it does quite a lot. You can of course fly it and not use many of it's abilities, people have done that for years in airplanes with GPS and autopilots. You'll be selling yourself short, though.

Garmin offers simulators for the various airframes. They're less than $30.00 and well worth it. Get the sim, download the book, fly a few "trips" and learn the system, then go up and get some dual. Be sure to focus on abnormals in the dual - instructors now have some overlays that fit on the G1000 to simulate failures, and they make a big difference in realistic training.

Tim, was that addressed to me? I don't have any experience with Garmin glass. But I DO have experience with Airbus Glass and two different versions of Boeing glass. I don't want to fly the airplane without having a good working knowledge of most if not all of its capabilities.

greg call Iowa Flight Training in Cedar Rapids. website is www.iowaflighttraining.com I think. Tim is the head honcho there, I worked with him at RC. Im pretty sure they have a couple of Columbia's on the line there.

The last time I checked, insurance policies were requiring the factory approved TAA transition training to meet the open pilot policy. There are qualified instructors all around, we've got at least three that I know of here in the mid-Atlantic that can provide the training and the sign-off.

I've been through the training in Bend and it's pretty thorough. I would suggest you contact them and get a recommendation for someone closer to you that is approved to provide the course.

Tim, was that addressed to me? I don't have any experience with Garmin glass. But I DO have experience with Airbus Glass and two different versions of Boeing glass. I don't want to fly the airplane without having a good working knowledge of most if not all of its capabilities.

Not addressed at you particularly. I've got similar experience with the Boeing glass, and if anything, it may be a disadvantage when it comes to working with the Garmin. VNAV doesn't work quite like you'd expect (only in descents, not climbs) and the differences between a Glideslope (GS), Glidepath (GP), and Vertical Path (VP) are subtle but important. And there's no way yet to insert a hold. Perhaps most importantly, there are different revs of software with varying features, so depending on the airframe/software combination you may not find the system you'd expect.

Spend a few hours with the G1000 simulator and work through some of the stuff you did when learning a turbine FMS, so you can learn the "Garmin" way. Also study the systems diagrams so you'll know what the loss of a single LRU will do to the system.

Here's hoping you never ask "what's it doing now?"

Back