G1000 Special Use Airspace question

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
I can't seem to figure out a way to see the frequency for the controlling agency for SUA. I can use the mouse pointer on the MFD to highlight the area, press Enter, and see it's name and altitudes, but not who to contact to find out if, for example, a MOA or Restricted area is hot.

Is the information available in the G1000? Or do I have to "refer to the chart", as Perot would say?

The MFD will depict locations of SUA. To obtain information on the SUA or other airspace depicted, depress the "joystick" knob to turn on the cursor then move the joystick to position the cursor the edge of the airspace in question. Depress "Enter" and a side screen will pop up indicating the name of the airspace, dimensions and the controlling agency. You will still have to contact the controlling agency to determine the status. To clear that window, depress "Enter" again. To clear the cursor, depress the joystick.

The MFD will depict locations of SUA. To obtain information on the SUA or other airspace depicted, depress the "joystick" knob to turn on the cursor then move the joystick to position the cursor the edge of the airspace in question. Depress "Enter" and a side screen will pop up indicating the name of the airspace, dimensions and the controlling agency. You will still have to contact the controlling agency to determine the status. To clear that window, depress "Enter" again. To clear the cursor, depress the joystick.

Yeah, that's exactly the steps I described... when I said "who to contact", I meant "a frequency". I see the agency's name, but I wish they showed their freq in that panel, too. For example the Kane East MOA over the Salton Sea in southern California says the following in the "details" box that pops up:

1 KANE EAST
FAA LOS ANGELES ARTCC
CLASSIFICATION: (MIL )
MAXIMUM: 18000 FT msl
MINIMUM: 10000 FT msl

But, using that info, which frequency would you use to reach "FAA LOS ANGELES ARTCC"?

Best I can figure is to go to the NRST 6 page, for frequencies, and find the best (nearest) freq for "Nearest ARTCC". But why they don't just show the best frequency for that agency on the popup info page, I don't know...

Troy, you'd have to go to a nearby airport and look at the ARTCC frequency listed for that airport.

They can't list one for the MOA or other SUA because it may span more than one ARTCC sector; hence, more than one frequency can apply. All that's certain is it will rest with one center. It's just a matter of which sector you contact for your specific location.

They can't list one for the MOA or other SUA because it may span more than one ARTCC sector; hence, more than one frequency can apply. All that's certain is it will rest with one center. It's just a matter of which sector you contact for your specific location.

Sure they can - And they do, on the 496. If there's more than one frequency, they put them all in there.

I'm surprised the G1K doesn't do this. :dunno:

Sure they can - And they do, on the 496. If there's more than one frequency, they put them all in there.

It does...go to the NRST page...scroll to I think the last page and it will give the the nearest ARTCC freq...

It does...go to the NRST page...scroll to I think the last page and it will give the the nearest ARTCC freq...
The G-1000 does give the frequency for Nearest "Center" but not one directly with the SUA data for the reason previously stated. The SUA may span more than one sector controlled by that agency whether that's an ARTCC or TRACON.

Back