G1000 PC trainer: question about go-around

olasek

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
olasek
I have G1000 PC trainer for Cirrus Perspective (I think my version is 9.10). My question is directed at other users of Garmin PC trainers. Is the go-around button simulated somehow in the trainer?. I checked the documentation and I don't see it but perhaps I missed something. Pushing go-around automatically disconnects the AP and provides the necessary Flight Director pitch cues as well as enables sequencing of waypoints for the missed approach so it is a very useful functionality.

There is no go around button functionality in the G1000 Cirrus Perspective PC trainer. It will in the real system however, complete the following four tasks (as you mentioned) when the go around button is pushed:

• Disconnect the autopilot
  • Command a 7 degree pitch up on the command bars
  • Sequence to the missed approach waypoint
  • Select GPS for navigation guidance on the HSI

OK, thanks for the confirmation. I wonder if there is some other PC trainer (not Perspective) where this button is implemented (I am guessing no).

Last edited:
There is no go around button functionality in the G1000 Cirrus Perspective PC trainer. It will in the real system however, complete the following four tasks (as you mentioned) when the go around button is pushed:

• Disconnect the autopilot
  • Command a 7 degree pitch up on the command bars
  • Sequence to the missed approach waypoint
  • Select GPS for navigation guidance on the HSI

Interesting that it will sequence to the missed approach waypoint. Going missed early in the approach (inside the FAF but not to DH or MDA), should one not continue while climbing to the MAP or close to it before initiating any turns to the missed approach waypoint?

Not all missed approach way points are straight ahead. Turning early could put one below the climb gradient required to clear an obstruction?

Climb to xx altitude then turn right continue climb to xx altitude.

But the Command Bars are directing a turn to early to the missed approach fix. I would think the system would enter "suspend" mode providing the straight ahead navigation (command bars) needed until reaching the required altitude and then the pilot may initiate the turn by hitting the suspend button to allow the system to sequence.

Interesting that it will sequence to the missed approach waypoint. Going missed early in the approach (inside the FAF but not to DH or MDA), should one not continue while climbing to the MAP or close to it before initiating any turns to the missed approach waypoint?

Not all missed approach way points are straight ahead. Turning early could put one below the climb gradient required to clear an obstruction?

Climb to xx altitude then turn right continue climb to xx altitude.

But the Command Bars are directing a turn to early to the missed approach fix. I would think the system would enter "suspend" mode providing the straight ahead navigation (command bars) needed until reaching the required altitude and then the pilot may initiate the turn by hitting the suspend button to allow the system to sequence.

From the Cirrus Perspective AFM:
"If in Approach mode, pressing the TO/GA switch resumes automatic sequencing of waypoints by deactivating the “SUSP” mode."

If you're executing an instrument approach, it will still provide course guidance to the missed approach point if you haven't reached it yet. Upon reaching it, it will deactivate the "SUSP" mode and auto sequence to the missed approach waypoint.

I would think the system would enter "suspend" mode providing the straight ahead navigation (command bars) needed until reaching the required altitude and then the pilot may initiate the turn by hitting the suspend button to allow the system to sequence.
I played with the system (no go-around button but I disabled suspended mode immediately at MAP) and never got anything suggesting an early turn. The magenta CDI-GPS showed a desired heading to be maintained and it was clearly in this heading mode (CDI had no deflection bar). So it is quite possible that no harm is done by deactiving SUSP early - the system is smart enough and will not steer you prematurely in the unwanted direction. I have to try it at more airports however. I am actually amazed how smart is this G1000 - smarter than Max Trescott's book suggests.

I know the book talks about it but he may be wrong on this point as I found out it is also incorrect about some other points (like need to set course for VOR approaches), oh..well probably Max is careful not to give the reader too much sense of security.

Last edited:
From the Cirrus Perspective AFM:

If you're executing an instrument approach, it will still provide course guidance to the missed approach point if you haven't reached it yet. Upon reaching it, it will deactivate the "SUSP" mode and auto sequence to the missed approach waypoint.

thanks.. from the OP, It appeared that the TOGA button would command the sequence to the next waypoint on the missed approach.

Where you are stating from the Cirrus G1000, the TOGA removes the "SUSP" function and will provide course guidance to the MAP and then sequence to the missed procedure waypoint.

that makes better sense

Depending on software levels and STC holder/manufacturer there are differences in how the G1000 responds to the GA button, so there isn't a single answer.

and then sequence to the missed procedure waypoint.
The confusion comes IMHO from over-interpreting the word 'sequence'. Sequence simply means the 'next in queue', it does not suggest you get there in straight, shortest distance.

OK, thanks for the confirmation. I wonder if there is some other PC trainer (not Perspective) where this button is implemented (I am guessing no).

They have a King Air trainer? Might be there if they do....

They have a King Air trainer? Might be there if they do....
They sell separate trainer for virtually every aircraft G1000 is installed on so King Air is there too. But I quickly realized they do little true customization of PC trainer software from model to model. For example my own Perspective trainer has many important Perspective-only features missing. They give you engine page which is for this particular aircraft (and is just a flat image of instrumentation with nothing really working there) but that is about it. Therefore the chances are next to zero that something so common like GA button would be included in one model and not another. I guess for $24.95 I should not expect too much.

Back