G1000 NAV1 service

skidoo

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
skidoo
On a G1000 system, Has anyone experienced a NAV1 or NAV2 failure message requiring return for service?

I'm just wondering if there is a common result of the service. Sounds like a radio replacement.

I hate these messages that don't give a clue as to what characteristic is failing. For example, I would like to know if it is just a calibration error just out of spec, or if some function actually just quit working.

How does one know that the manufacturer doesn't program the system to give such a message after a period of time just to get service $$ ??

We have never had the nav radio flag, but our transponder in the G1000 has been replaced a whopping 7 times -- apparently Garmin was putting out a bad batch of them for awhile. :mad2:

Garmin has been surprisingly reasonable to deal with -- the LRU for the transponder was $600 for an overhaulled unit, and they have stood behind it all 7 damn times -- and we forced the shop to do the same (against their will -- each round of XPDR diagnosis/replacement carried an initial bill for $2k or so -- which was adiosed after much kvetching)

If you bought the aircraft new, you can sometimes arm-wrestle with the seller of the plane for warranty coverage even beyond the initial warranty period -- things which "shouldn't fail" like nav radios might get this treatment.

The G1000 seems to stump most techs when it glitches. It's worth going to a "name" shop at the local class C airport for the initial diagnosis, even at punitive fees.

$0.02 -- hopefully they diagnose it right the first time.

Back