g1000, how to activate the missed

dennyleeb

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
7DeltaBravo
all the missed approaches I have done I have hand flown the missed, if i am on a rnav approach using my autopilot (kap140) how do i activate the missed (easiest way)

I would hand fly the initial portion of the missed, but once established on course with a positive rate, make sure the GPS has sequenced to the missed approach (press "SUSP" softkey), then put the autopilot in NAV mode and VS mode and set the missed approach altitude.)

I have the GFC700 autopilot so it may not be the same but when you get to the MAP, the autopilot stops sequencing and you see a suspense (SUSP) soft key on the PFD. Push this. Now the autopilot will sequence to the first waypoint of the missed procedure. Push the AP button and make sure NAV is active. Check to see you have the right altitude bugged and command a climb that meets the approach requirements. It's a little more complicated on an ILS or VOR approach since you will need to get the CDI back to GPS but for an RNAV approach, this is not needed.

You will, of course, make sure that the point the autopilot is taking you to is in fact the point on the approach you want to be going to. This can be a little tricky if you need to climb to a certain altitude before turning.

Always know what the missed approach requires. Some require a climb on last heading to an altitude before turning. Hitting the suspend button to early to sequence to the missed approach fix may command a turn on the auto pilot before the altitude required is reached.

When conducting an ILS/LOC/BC approach, I always set the CDI to the LOC/GS (duh), but I set one of the bearing pointers to the GPS. I sync my heading bug to my heading on final.

Then, when I go missed, I get away from the ground, and if I engage the autopilot at all during the first segment of the missed, it's in HDG/VS mode, so that I'm forced to consider where I'm going instead of just following the nav pointers. I have the GPS bearing pointer that will point to my next waypoint as soon as I hit the SUSP softkey. I can then use the heading bug to fly towards the waypoint as soon as I'm confident that that is where I want to go, and I can then switch the nav source to the GPS when I'm happy with what's in the flight plan, and then tell the autopilot to follow the CDI.

I find that dropping down to a "dumber" autopilot mode means that at least the airplane is doing what I told it to, rather than following the commands of a GPS sequence that I may not be fully confident of. Don't turn the airplane navigation over to the idiot box until you're sure it has the proper instructions. This is especially important in busier airspace where ATC may have given you specific missed approach instructions that are not the same as those published.

For those merely practicing and going missed early for traffic, ATC, etc reasons, remember that the GPS doesn't automatically sequence to the missed (even in SUSP mode) until you reach the MAP/DA. To go missed early, you will generally need to go into the flight plan page and select the missed hold waypoint manually.

And if your G1000 has the GA button (go around), remember that's your first action upon reaching your MAP. With the GFC 700 it disconnects the autopilot and causes the flight director to pitch up on runway heading for your climbout. You'll see the missed approach segments in white on the MFD until you hit the SUSP softkey to unsuspend the GPS. See www.Fly1000.com for more G1000 tips.

all the missed approaches I have done I have hand flown the missed, if i am on a rnav approach using my autopilot (kap140) how do i activate the missed (easiest way)

Doesn't the KAP140 G-1000 set up have a GA button?

(G)o
(A)round

I flew a C172Sp with that set up for about a year and a half but can't remember if it had the GA switch...

I guess I should figure out a backup way since the only way I know on the GFC700 and G-1000 set up I fly now is to push the GA button...

Doesn't the KAP140 G-1000 set up have a GA button?

(G)o
(A)round

I flew a C172Sp with that set up for about a year and a half but can't remember if it had the GA switch...

I guess I should figure out a backup way since the only way I know on the GFC700 and G-1000 set up I fly now is to push the GA button...

nope,

And if your G1000 has the GA button (go around), remember that's your first action upon reaching your MAP. With the GFC 700 it disconnects the autopilot and causes the flight director to pitch up on runway heading for your climbout. You'll see the missed approach segments in white on the MFD until you hit the SUSP softkey to unsuspend the GPS. See www.Fly1000.com for more G1000 tips.

And depending on the installation, pressing the TOGA button will also sequence the GPS to the missed approach. In the Cirrus and Phenom the TOGA button does 4 things if pressed (while airborne):

• Disconnects the autopilot
  • Commands a pitch up to a specific attitude
  • Switches the CDI to GPS if using a green needle (LOC/VOR).
  • Sequences the missed approach

And depending on the installation, pressing the TOGA button will also sequence the GPS to the missed approach. In the Cirrus and Phenom the TOGA button does 4 things if pressed (while airborne):

• Disconnects the autopilot
  • Commands a pitch up to a specific attitude
  • Switches the CDI to GPS if using a green needle (LOC/VOR).
  • Sequences the missed approach
It does three of the four (doesn't switch the CDI according to the docs) in the C182 I've got with the G1000/GFC700.

Tim,

The operation of the Go Around button could be different for different manufacturer's implementation of the G1000. For the Cirrus Perspective and the Beechcraft G36/G58, the manual states:

Flying a missed approach:

1) Push the GA Switch at the Decision height and apply go-around power to execute a missed approach. The flight director Command Bars establish a nose-up climb to follow. If flying an ILS or LOC approach the CDI also switches to GPS as the navigation source.

Tim,

The operation of the Go Around button could be different for different manufacturer's implementation of the G1000. For the Cirrus Perspective and the Beechcraft G36/G58, the manual states:

Flying a missed approach:

1) Push the GA Switch at the Decision height and apply go-around power to execute a missed approach. The flight director Command Bars establish a nose-up climb to follow. If flying an ILS or LOC approach the CDI also switches to GPS as the navigation source.

Yes I understand, I wasn't implying that Jason was incorrect. It's different for different airplanes and probably even for different software revs for the same airplane.

Back