G1000 - extended legs in holds

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Greg's G1000 training thread reminded me that I've had a note on my desktop of "questions I've come up with" while practicing with the G1000 sim (dual monitors) and the pilot's guide.

The G1000 will plot standard holds; with the GFC autopilot, it will fly the holds, too.

If ATC tells you to fly "5 mile legs" or "5 minute legs", or if you want to request such, is there a way to change the leg length of the hold in your flight plan? I couldn't find one.

If there's not a specific function for this, how would YOU do it in flight, to comply with ATC? I always like to keep some level of automation, as in "downgrade" rather than "turn it off" when possible. I'm thinking you could just go into heading mode with the autopilot, and time your legs / DME your legs.

Nope, you can't create a new hold like you can in an FMS or other GPS system.

On the GFC700, I would use:
1. NAV to intercept the radial inbound (direct entry, otherwise I would handfly or use HDG to make a parallel or tear-drop entry).
2. HDG to turn outbound (to the holding side), and time or reference DME for length.
3. Initially HDG to turn inbound.
4. NAV to intercept radial inbound (not too sure how the GFC700 would take this one, if it's too fishy then leave it on HDG until you intercept).

I attached a jpg image of the Collins FMS-3000 demonstrator that shows how that function works on most FMS's if anyone's interested. I would imagine this functionality exists on the higher G1000 platforms (Mustang, etc).

Attachments

• collins_hold.jpg
    collins_hold.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Back