G1000 and current TFR display

skidoo

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
skidoo
So, I flew a 1000 mile trip back to my home base. Before I left, there was a fire started just about 10 miles from the airport. In the photo, the airport is the far lights just past the large trees. So, I was coming back, lots of smoke from California to Montana. It was clear the whole trip, except for the last 20 minutes or so where I had to go towards scattered building cumulus with rain below some and divert around them. I descended from 17500 to 12500 to be sure I would be below any cloud ceiling because the top of the smoke blended into the bottom of the clouds.

So, anyway, my direct path would have taken me, what I believed to be, directly over the recent fire TFR. I was ready to descend towards pattern altitude at 4Kft, but my G1000 display did not show the TFR or its location. I confirmed with ATC that a TFR existed there, the top of which, was at 9Kft. So, I ended up getting a lot closer the field above 9Kft than desired. That is until I was sure I was past the TFR general area.

So, my question is does anyone know why a G1000 would miss a current TFR. The display showed all the other fire TFRs in the West. Just not the one at my home base.

Attachments

• HLR_1350 (Medium).jpg
    HLR_1350 (Medium).jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 27
The length of time for the TFR notification to get through the system?

Does the G1000 get updates through XM inflight? ADS-B coverage?

The length of time for the TFR notification to get through the system?

Does the G1000 get updates through XM inflight? ADS-B coverage?

I had thought it had in flight updates. The TFR just began 4 days earlier. Is there that much of a delay?

Hmm...I've gotten TFRs on my 396 before. Check with other pilots in your area and see if they got it.

Back