G-airment notation confusion

leptserkhan

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
lesterkhan
Hello All and I hope someone can explain the confusion I'm having over the G-Airmet keys.

In the G-Airmet product a user clicks the Icing button and will see something like the image reproduced, below, or attached herewith.

In the attached example, does it mean icing from surface to 050 and continuing up to FL150? Or does that depiction mean icing from the surface to 050, wherein the icing stops, then starts again at FL 150?

Typically, people in this hemisphere read from left to right, not right to left. So the notations 050/SFC is particularly difficult to understand because logically if it means from the surface to 050 feet, it would be noted as SFC/050.

Any help much appreciated. I could not find a description anywhere on the internet on the coding standard used for these notations.

Thanks.

Attachments

• gairmet.png
    gairmet.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 24
Moderate ice between freezing level to 15,000. Freezing level from surface to 5,000.

But I'm probably wrong :) Wait for Scott...or someone smart.

Last edited:
then why not just notate freezing surface to FL150? Unless they want us to know that the the freezing level is from the surface to 5,000 so that, for example, we are in the clouds at 8,000 we would not expect icing, but then that does not compute because they already said moderate ice from surface to FL150.

I gotta say, sometimes the people who write up these things just don't think them through or make it easy to decipher them.

Ah ha! thank you Scott for that explanation. I did in fact look at your first listed workshop and did not find the answer there. I did, however, find it explained very clearly in the second workshop link. So let me make sure I understand, for example, in the attached graphic.

The attached graphic says that the freezing level is from 12,000 to 16,000 and the chance for ice is from the lower altitude (12,000) up to FL240.

This would be helpful then to know that if I'm in clouds at or below 11,999 feet the chance for icing would be less than if I was in the clouds at 12,000 and higher?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thank you.

Attachments

• icing.png
    icing.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 11
that does help and thank you very much for your insight.

..and that's why you listen to him and not me :)

Back