Fun with Flying

cgrab

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
cgrab
Today was a busy day at the airport with several military planes making T-N-G's. After my run-up, I was holding short for wake turbulence and saw a big gray plane on a long final. Knowing the wake turbulence clock would reset, I keyed the mic "Tower, if I wave the RJ wake turbulence can I get out before the big guy gets in?" Tower "Nxxxxx cleared for take off, no delay, winds 330 at 10 turn 330" I was rolling as I read the clearance back. As my wheels cleared the ground I pushed to gain airspeed and began my turn into the wind. Tower comes on with "Nxxxxx turn 030." So now I'm at about 100 feet and making a turn across a runway in wake turbulence and broadside to the wind. The tower later complimented me on handling the turn and the turbulence. I was able to hold on to the seat without my seatbelt (large pucker factor) as I was tossed all over just above the building tops. The rest of the flight was uneventful. Oh yeah, the ATIS was calling for winds at 110 at 8 so even my pre-take-off mental position was messed up.

One of the few downsides of operating out of HSV. But uniformly great controllers. Well, ever since they apparently lost Mr Grumpy back in '13.

Most likely there wasn't a wake turbulence issue with the RJ unless you were going off an intersection. Then 3 minutes waiverable.

I imagine their plan was to hold you after the arriving military aircraft though. I little nudge to let them know you're ready and can get out before the arrival is all it takes...sometimes.

Yeah, I was departing from W3 (of 9) and waved about 90 seconds. I had a couple of 60+ degree bank angles in the turn. When he said to make a downwind departure I replied that I would stay this course until I had a little more altitude and he said that would be a good idea.

Back