Fun weekend at the farm

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
What a great weekend of flying! It was a time of giving rides, getting rides, and private air shows.

One of Tom’s students came to the farm Saturday and we went on a leisurely flight in the Citabria, checking out many of the local private grass strips, flying the lake at Stockton, and looking for deer (he spotted several, even on short final). As a student pilot, Josh has never gone flying low and slow while casually enjoying the scenery. I took him for an acro ride last week, but this was different. He enjoyed this pace, this sense of freedom and relaxation while flying, and he loved flying the Citabria.

Josh didn’t know what a Pitts was, and had never seen acro from the ground. He enjoyed watching the Pitts do acro (with smoke) over our airfield later that afternoon. Josh had a chance to sit in the Pitts after we pulled it into the hangar.

After getting my Citabria worked on the next morning, I got to ride along with the mechanic (he performs at air shows) after he worked out some of the bugs and did some aerobatics in the Citabria, testing it for the feel. Wow, I only hope that, some day, I can fly it as well as he did! It was a good lesson in aerobatics.

Sunday afternoon I watched two more small private air shows over the farm by a pair of Yaks (Josh was riding along in one Yak) as they enjoyed the beautiful day. Later, I went up again and did a few rolls and loops right before the gorgeous sunset. As I walked back to the house from the hangar, a VERY big buck walked by me near the barn. A nice ending to a beautiful autumn weekend. Too bad Tom missed all of this, but at least I took pictures for him. Now he can see from the photos that there IS room for a Pitts in our hangar along with the Citabria. All I need to do now is find the money to buy one. :yes:

Attachments

• Pitts fits.jpg
    Pitts fits.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 66
  • Pitts at the farm.JPG
    Pitts at the farm.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 56
  • Yaks over Twin Oaks.JPG
    Yaks over Twin Oaks.JPG
    456.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Flyby.JPG
    Flyby.JPG
    208.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Circles over the farm.JPG
    Circles over the farm.JPG
    505.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Loop.JPG
    Loop.JPG
    539 KB · Views: 35
Wow! Sounds like a hoot! Ya'lls strip is on my "Must see" list for next year's post-winter-thaw flying adventures! :D

-Chris

My gosh that looks like fun.
I'd love to be out there right now!

I'm jealous.

im jealous^2. lucky guy that Josh is to have people like you in his flying life diana! he will, and has, learned what a joy flying can be.

CJones said:
Wow! Sounds like a hoot! Ya'lls strip is on my "Must see" list for next year's post-winter-thaw flying adventures! :D

-Chris
Chris, next time you fly past this way, you DO need to stop and visit. :)

tonycondon said:
im jealous^2. lucky guy that Josh is to have people like you in his flying life diana! he will, and has, learned what a joy flying can be.
Thanks Tony. :) I will always be grateful to all those pilots who took me flying when I was a student pilot. I used to spend hours hanging out at the airport with those wonderful airport bums, and got so excited when they took me flying. They taught me so much. Even now, I am very grateful to people who take me flying in various airplanes, including my own. (I can only hope that someday I will be able to fly my airplane as well as this guy did.)

BTW, Josh soloed today. I imagine he is still flying high tonight. :yes: (Bruce, if you happen to read this...Josh is the one I emailed you about not long ago about getting his medical.)

I am so jealous. You're just having too much fun, Diane! My weekends at our farm don't even come close to yours......must figure out how to get a strip at farm....with a Citabria......:yes:

Diana said:
BTW, Josh soloed today. I imagine he is still flying high tonight. :yes: (Bruce, if you happen to read this...Josh is the one I emailed you about not long ago about getting his medical.)
That's good. He obviously was successful....:cheerswine:

Kaye said:
I am so jealous. You're just having too much fun, Diane! My weekends at our farm don't even come close to yours......must figure out how to get a strip at farm....with a Citabria......:yes:
Kaye, why don't you come stay here for a bit. Before or after Gaston's would be a good time. :yes:

We run a shuttle service to and from the paved airport 5 miles away.

Diana, when did you get a Pitts??

And next Gastons, I plan on doing a low pass to check out your field. I can't miss seeing it 3 years in a row.

SkyHog said:
Diana, when did you get a Pitts??
I only wish it was mine. The Pitts brought the mechanic who works on my Citabria.

SkyHog said:
And next Gastons, I plan on doing a low pass to check out your field. I can't miss seeing it 3 years in a row.
Promises, promises. :D

Actually, I was thinking of opening up our airfield for camping if anyone wants to camp with their airplane before or after Gaston's.

Diana said:
Kaye, why don't you come stay here for a bit. Before or after Gaston's would be a good time. :yes:

hmmmmmm..........that's now on the agenda of things to do!:yes:

Congrats, Diana, to you and Tom on soloing Josh! And glad you had such a good wknd, too. The good folks at M17 got together and overflew Bolivar's town square at 11:00am for the Vet's Day ceremony, then Down to SGF's two cemeteries (National, and Veterans'), then up to Weaubleau to overfly the dedication of their Veterans' memorial.

Seems an old WWII vet there in W. was once pinned down with the rest of his unit; called in air support, who, after quickly dispatching the machine gun emplacement or whatever it was, then went back and rocked their wings as they overflew him and his comrades in arms.

I guess he related this to his daughter or grandaughter when, during another flyover Bolivar's Chapter of the MPA recently did, one of the pilots rocked his wings. Brought back some memories. The story was related to us tonight during the monthly meeting. Unfortunately, I didn't get to hear all the story due to other circumstances.

Drop by M17, next time you are up this way! The restuarant has been reopened, and the menu is beginning to expand as their airspeed comes alive, oil pressure is good, and they rollout!

Also, I understand that soon we will have our own AWOS!

Y'all stay warm tonight,

Jim

Diana said:

I can attest to that. And the fact that Tom and Diana are wonderful hosts. :yes:

jshawley said:
Congrats, Diana, to you and Tom on soloing Josh! And glad you had such a good wknd, too. The good folks at M17 got together and overflew Bolivar's town square at 11:00am for the Vet's Day ceremony, then Down to SGF's two cemeteries (National, and Veterans'), then up to Weaubleau to overfly the dedication of their Veterans' memorial.
What a neat thing to do. Isn't that a yearly event out of Bolivar? Seems like I read about it somewhere (maybe the MPA bulletin in the past).

jshawley said:
Drop by M17, next time you are up this way! The restuarant has been reopened, and the menu is beginning to expand as their airspeed comes alive, oil pressure is good, and they rollout!
Great news about the restaurant! We'll be over to check it out! If we call the FBO, will they be able to give us the hours?

Are you back in the air again? Is there a rental available now?

wsuffa said:
I can attest to that. And the fact that Tom and Diana are wonderful hosts. :yes:
Well, how sweet. :) We're hoping you'll come back this way again. We'll try to order better weather for you next time.

Diana said:
I only wish it was mine. The Pitts brought the mechanic who works on my Citabria.

Promises, promises. :D

Actually, I was thinking of opening up our airfield for camping if anyone wants to camp with their airplane before or after Gaston's.

Why don't you just move the Gastons Fly-in to your place.:D

Hi, Diana--

Yes, they can: (417) 777-6800. AirNav has been updated; AOPA's airport directory hasn't yet.

You probably did read about the Bolivar Chapter's several flyovers in the MPA minutes. They are indeed a lot of fun!

BTW, tomorrow we may be looking at a 71 Cardinal with the 180 Constant Speed prop. I'm sure it's out of our budget, but still, won't hurt to just kick the tires. He's scheduled to come down and visit from SUS; I promised him a free $100.00 hamburger;) . Who knows? Maybe somebody hanging around the airport will want it just as bad as we, and will go halves with me:dunno: .

Stay Dry!!

Jim

Back