fun stuck mic from sim session, censored

coma24

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
coma24
http://assets.pilotedge.net/recordings/archive/stuck_mic1.mp3

One of the lighter moments on the PilotEdge network, a pilot has a sim failure that results in a stuck mic. The analysis is back from the NSA Linguistics Lab, and the preliminary indication is that the pilot was moderately dissatisfied with his simulator's performance.

And yes, the controller has since been briefed that the only person who can't hear the "stuck mic" announcement is the guy with the stuck mic.

I'm still amused that people get that "into" simulators that this kind of thing exists at all...

Wouldn't it be more fun to actually go outside and, I dunno, maybe DO this stuff for REAL? Instead of hiding in the basement and pretending?

Interesting, they have a free app and you can listen in and watch the map live (for free). If you want to see how it works. Audio is TOO good; they need to add a filter to make it sound VHF-ified.

I'm still amused that people get that "into" simulators that this kind of thing exists at all...

Wouldn't it be more fun to actually go outside and, I dunno, maybe DO this stuff for REAL? Instead of hiding in the basement and pretending?
it's a cheaper way to try to keep skills up

Are you seriously saying that simulators are not useful for instrument training or proficiency?

Well it does take $8K+ for a pilot's license and ~$100/hr to do this stuff for real. Not everyone has that kind of money. Most people never will.

Are you seriously saying that simulators are not useful for instrument training or proficiency?

Not at all - but there is a far cry from using an FAA-approved sim for IP and building an ATC sim and living a pseudo-controllers life online. I mean, these guys are building sim-airlines, and sim-dispatchers, sim-maintenance, this is way beyond flight sim for training or proficiency, this is a whole online world.

I'm not saying they are WRONG, per se - I'm just saying they ain't all right either. I dunno, I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder, I just don't "get it". I would much rather walk outside and do stuff for real than do it online in a fabricated world. Some of these guys spend 5 figures for their setups and that same price could buy a decent time-builder airplane and be outside doing it for real.

Well it does take $8K+ for a pilot's license and ~$100/hr to do this stuff for real. Not everyone has that kind of money. Most people never will.

Granted, but some of these guys are spending a good deal more than a cheaper aircraft would cost. That might explain some of them - but some of them will continue to defy explanation.

I dunno - to each their own, I guess. I just don't get it.

Last edited:
Now I see your point. It's a mistake to assume that everyone who flies online has a $150k 737 sim cockpit. Many people are flying with $1000-$1500 PC's and $150 worth of flight controls and are saving truckloads of money on their instrument training.

In my case, I use it to maintain proficiency (not currency). Many people do the same.

Granted, but some of these guys are spending a good deal more than a cheaper aircraft would cost. That might explain some of them - but some of them will continue to defy explanation.

I dunno - to each their own, I guess. I just don't get it.

I spent quite a bit of time on VATSIM. It was a great tool to get used to using the 'radio' and getting the phraseology [somewhat] correct. Most of the people on there sounded very young and I doubt they had thousands of dollars for real flying. If you look at through the VATSIM forums there are pictures of peoples' sim rigs. I have yet to see one that is more than a PC (or 2) with a sim yoke.

Consider yourself (ourselves) fortunant. :)

Interesting, they have a free app and you can listen in and watch the map live (for free). If you want to see how it works. Audio is TOO good; they need to add a filter to make it sound VHF-ified.

Squished bandwidth AM-ified actually. VHF, UHF, 1.2 GHz... Don't matter. :)

I use a C150 in real life and a 737 on Vatsim, have fun with both and the main benefit with online simulator is dealing with ATC. I was away from aviation for quite a few years and I have found, since flying real world again I am more comfortable with ATC than I was years ago when there were only a few controlled airports in Nebraska. Works for me, your mileage may vary.

Back