Fun in the pattern

ScottK

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ScottK
An incredible bad run of wx, sickness, work and life in general had limited me to one flight in mid Nov and one in mid Dec.

I watched anxiously yesterday as the actual wx started to match the forecasted. 1700ovc became 2000 on its way to 3600ovc and finally clear skies shortly after I took off. And the winds were cooperating as well. I didn't want anything nasty for my first flight in a month. They pretty much held about 20 deg to either side of the runway around 8-10 kts.

My plan was to find out if I could still land an airplane. I had a friend/CFI riding along just for fun.

After about 3 or 4 landings, I had pretty much put the airplane where I wanted it each time. My speeds/approaches were consistant and the landings were as good as I've had in this plane (c172).

On one of the loops, I got an extended downwind for Spirit to take off and ended up flying the ILS in on a longer final. I haven't done many of these, but they are fun to do. I love looking up and seeing the runway. Instrument training this spring should be a blast.

The last one was a short approach from the numbers. I got it down nicely and out of the way for an landing corporate jet.

That was about as much fun as I've ever had in the pattern. There is a special satisfaction that comes from flying the airplane well and getting a "great job" from a friend. And the fact that I've flown twice in 9 weeks made it even sweeter. Can't wait to get back up there again!

Sounds great. My last flight was in October and I hadn't flown a 172 since August. I had similar fun in the pattern today and then did a quick XC to build some time on the way to my Instrument rating. :)

Go get your tailwheel. There's nothing better than a one wheel touch and go on the center stripe....

Back