Fun flight to Germany!

Cap'n Jack

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cap'n Jack
I left Lincoln, NE on time- got to Minneapolis OK. Now the fun begins-
Left an hour late because of a leaky water valve. We go to James Bay in Northern Ontario (southern part of Hudson bay?)- the Captain comes on and tells of of a "slight vibration" in one of the engines- we divert to Detroit. Much to my surprise, we are told NWA has another plane ready. When we land at Detroit, they have the fire trucks all lined up waiting for us:hairraise: - just a little vibration?

After only 2 hours, we depart again. Make it to Amsterdam, my (rebooked) connecting flight is late by 2 hours. I eventually make it to Germany, manage to make the right train and get off at the correct station.

NWA gave food vouchers and a voucher for an additional 2000 miles (Why don't they just credit my account?!).

I left Lincoln, NE on time- got to Minneapolis OK. Now the fun begins-
Left an hour late because of a leaky water valve. We go to James Bay in Northern Ontario (southern part of Hudson bay?)- the Captain comes on and tells of of a "slight vibration" in one of the engines- we divert to Detroit. Much to my surprise, we are told NWA has another plane ready. When we land at Detroit, they have the fire trucks all lined up waiting for us:hairraise: - just a little vibration?

After only 2 hours, we depart again. Make it to Amsterdam, my (rebooked) connecting flight is late by 2 hours. I eventually make it to Germany, manage to make the right train and get off at the correct station.

NWA gave food vouchers and a voucher for an additional 2000 miles (Why don't they just credit my account?!).
Hmmm 2 hrs in Amsterdam ehh....? Did you get a cup of coffee at a shop with a green and yellow sign?

Ha ha-No- I didn't see anything like that in the airport. It was actually 4 hours there and I spent most of it in the KLM lounge. I also got upgraded to 1st class for the connector flight- the seats were all the same on the plane, but I got to use the lounge. I got to try Genever (spelling?)- I read it was the precursor to gin. It tastes pretty much the same as gin, but with more spices in it.

Left an hour late because of a leaky water valve.
<snip>
the Captain comes on and tells of of a "slight vibration" in one of the engines- we divert to Detroit.
<snip>
my (rebooked) connecting flight is late by 2 hours.

Are you sure that none of these were caused by corporate jets? It could have even been those little GA planes cluttering the sky. It couldn't be anything else, could it?

Hi Jason-

I'm keeping careful notes to send my congress critter & senator. I'll know for sure if it's those little GA planes on Sunday, when I go through Chicago on the way to NJ.

I hear that the commercial airliners are daleyed because the controllers give flight following to the little planes all the time (tongue-in-cheek).

My assistant got in 4 hours late yesterday sans luggage. Fortunately there's a Walmart within walking distance of the hotel.

I got to try Genever (spelling?)- I read it was the precursor to gin. It tastes pretty much the same as gin, but with more spices in it.

They make a lemon version of it as well that I was introduced to in Belgium. Drinking "lemonade" with the NATO chief of operations....Schooner Rats Unite!

Hi Henning-

Are you perhaps thinking of Lemoncello? I bought a bottle of it for my wife while passing through. I suppose you can make it with gin as a base.

The flight back was Ok. We departed about an hour late from Amsterdam because of weather. Since there were no little planes, and they have user fees, it couldn't be anything else.

I taped the last of the AOPA rebuttals I brought in the seatback magazines opposite the user fee article.

I almost forgot- I saw a Junkers 52 sitting at Dusseldorf Airport between a couple of buildings. I never thought I'd see one outside of a museum. I couldn't take a picture since I only saw it after we took off and we were climbing away.

Last edited:
Back