Fun, exciting day!

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Today was an awesome day.

I was to take my friend, Billy with me to go flying. We were originally going to go to Amarillo, but instead decided on Farmington, NM when we saw that there were thunderstorms expected later in the day.

I got to the airport around 9am to meet my friend there. At about 9:05, he calls and says that he just woke up and would be late. I figured I'd get the preflight done and then when he showed up, we could just take off. While doing the preflight, I heard loud popping sound. I turned towards it and saw a plane had just touched down, and a whole bunch of tire smoke had filled the approach path of runway 22. Apparantly, a pilot had landed and blown a tire, and run off the end of the runway. The pilot was uninjured. I'm curious to see the reports on that one.

My friend showed up at about 10:30 (yes, an hour and a half late). He had apparantly gotten lost on the way to the airport. I'll have to make sure I remember to give good directions to people to find the airport. I've been there so many times, I just assume people know how to get there. By that time, runway 22 had been reopened, so we used it. Boy that plane was sluggish with us both in it, climb was no more than like 300 ft per minute.

We had an uneventful flight to Farmington, aside from a few rain storms that we flew through. We got to the airport and landed uneventfully.

Farmington's restaurant is not open (at least not on Sunday, but I presume that it's no longer open period). When we got there, the person at the FBO gave us the keys to the courtesy car to drive into town to get lunch. We ate at a place called "Three Rivers." Great food! Bad salsa, though....I love salsa, but that was nasty.

On the way back to Albuquerque, we had to keep ducking to avoid the virga, since the weather briefer had mentioned at this time that we were in the freezing level, and to avoid clouds and moisture. As we got near Double Eagle, the turbulence started to pick up. I warned my friend that it could get kinda bumpy. I actually experienced what I believe was moderate to severe turbulence. It was only for a short while, but the turbulence was so bad that at times, the airplane would bank 45+ degrees regardless of my control response.

It felt great to get through it, and we made an uneventful landing at Double Eagle. 2.7 hours of cross country time, with my friend finally seeing that I am a good pilot afterall.

Nick;

Very nice post; You learned a lot on your flight. There is no substitute in flying x-c with a variety of weather situations. The important thing that you are building wonderful confidence and respect for the weather that all of us deal with.

Thank you for sharing

John J

Glad to see your having fun out that way nick. Whats the weather like there in june around 11ish? Do the thunderstorms pop up in the afternoon?

Michael

Michael said:
Glad to see your having fun out that way nick. Whats the weather like there in june around 11ish? Do the thunderstorms pop up in the afternoon?

Michael

If I remember correctly, June and July are usually T-Storm free. Its mostly blistering heat and DA's well above 9000ft.

I've only been back in ABQ for one summer though, and before I left, I was young and didn't pay much attention to the weather.

Back