fun aviation day on the boat

Brad W

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
BLW2
In all the boating I've don't in my life I think I've only seen one other float or amphib on the water, so this was exciting for me....

DW talked me into dragging out the boat yesterday to escape home for a while.

Sitting in line at the ramp waiting my turn to launch, I see a beautiful cessna (182 I think) on floats, on base leg from just across the creek heading right at the ramp..... he makes his base to final turn to land sadly just beyond sight down the creek into the Saint Johns river I assume...

I was hoping to find that plane out on the river someplace..... but I'm assuming they just did a T&G or otherwise didn't linger.

Later, I see a small sport plane fly down very low to the water. We were cruising back generally toward the ramp but when I saw it I steered toward it and gave it the gas for a better look.... It was very far away & I never got close enough.... but trailed behind it for a long time... it flew maybe a 5 to 6 mile stretch in ground affect before I turned away. It was going maybe 5-10 mph faster than me and I never got close enough to see what it was...

but it was still fun being an airport bum while in the boat!

I've gotta get that seaplane rating one of these days!

I've had a few Lake Amphibians take off near me when fishing. The lake patrol used to have an LA they'd use to patrol shoreline at Grand Lake and Lake Hudson northeast of Tulsa.

We got on the water this weekend as well to take out my FIL's new Triton. Not a bad little boat with a Yamaha 250HP hanging off the back. Not my kind of boat but it was good for that lake and having lots of kids on board.

Back