Full week fo training to start?

eman1200

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bro do you even lift
I keep reading how you should fly as often as you can to retain skills as well as to keep costs down. If I've accrued a gazillion vacation days at work, do you think it makes sense to start out with a full week of non-stop training? Or maybe start out with 1, 3, or 5 lessons first, then take a week to train? I know some of you will say information overload, but don't some people train full time? Do you think I'd get a cheaper 'bulk' rental rate?

Thanks y'all.

It will be a little bit cheaper to buy "Block time" of a plane, usually in 10 hour increments that you can use over a set (or unlimited) period of time.

Flying everyday will be an overload during your very first lessons. Maybe fly every other day to let the information sink in, giving you time to study check-lists, chair fly, and study the topics your CFI will be covering on your next lessons. My $0.02!

I keep reading how you should fly as often as you can to retain skills as well as to keep costs down. If I've accrued a gazillion vacation days at work, do you think it makes sense to start out with a full week of non-stop training? Or maybe start out with 1, 3, or 5 lessons first, then take a week to train? I know some of you will say information overload, but don't some people train full time? Do you think I'd get a cheaper 'bulk' rental rate?

Thanks y'all.

My personal experience was booking my first lessons as 6 consecutive days starting January 3rd 2013. I was only able to fly 4 consecutive days because of the weather, but I did learn that I can't tolerate much more than a 90 minute lesson(flying portion) at a time. It was a great jump start for me and there's real value in becoming familiar with the plane you plan to "master" through solo. What helped me later was taking a break(two week forced hiatus) and coming back fresh. I'm now planning to book another 5-6 consecutive days of lessons to see if I will excel now that I'm 13 hours in and comfortable with the Cherokee 180 I train in.

Good luck to you!

I booked the plane on Tuesday and Thursday of each week. In my case I needed some "soak in" time to think about what I've done. I don't think I would want to fly any more often than that.

The small airport was very relaxed concerning the rental. I booked a two-hour block, but the CFI and I would do a very long pre-flight walk-around with a lot of talking, it was essentially a 30-minute ground school. We'd then go flying for about 1 hour, and after we tied down, he'd let me sit in the plane with the engine off (and the Hobbs not running) and talk about what we'd done (when the weather was not too hot). So I got two-hours of instruction for a one hour rental.

May not be able to fly those days and no reason to take off a whole day of work for an hour - 2 lesson.. Might as well go before or after and see how weather is like other member said.

I see you are in Charlotte.

I have a friend who is/was training at wilgrove air park (8A6) and had a great experience. From what I understand they have the best prices in the area.

I see you are in Charlotte.

I have a friend who is/was training at wilgrove air park (8A6) and had a great experience. From what I understand they have the best prices in the area.

Ren, yes, I went to check out 8A6 and their prices were significantly cheaper. It's a tough call for me since JQF is 3 miles from my house. I do think the 2 places I talked to at JQF have a better plane selection, but I still haven't ruled out wilgrove.

The first few lessons will be very much like drinking from a firehose. You will also need some downtime for ground study. I think every day right at the start may be a bit much, 5hough not later.

FlyingRon is close to you (between Charlotte & Statesville). He will be a good resource for you.

The biggest problem with something like what you propose is finding an instructor who knows how to conduct an intensive training program and is also available for that one solid week at the expense of any other trainees s/he has. Outfits like PIC have a training program and syllabus designed specifically for one-on-one intensive training which has been honed over the years, as well as a cadre of instructors who don't have any other students but you for that training period. Of course, that's an expensive option, but if that's the way you want to go, make sure your training provider has the right resources for this job.

Back