full bite or half?

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Some of the products say, "32-bit" and a few "64-bit", and there if vague suggestion that the latter is more capable but also more restrictive.

Any comments on that?

Some of the products say, "32-bit" and a few "64-bit", and there if vague suggestion that the latter is more capable but also more restrictive.

Any comments on that?

It doesn't matter much. Most current CPUs are 64 bit. You can run a 32 bit or 64 bit OS on them.

You don't want to run 64 bit Windows because most drivers aren't available in a 64 bit version and the 32 bit versions usually won't work.

If you're talking about sofware saying it has 32 or 64 bit versions, that means it can run in 64 bit mode, on 64 bit Windows. That theoretically means you'd get better performance.

Most existing stuff will run in 32 bit mode on 64 bit Windows.

You'd only need or see any difference in performance on demanding applications like video editing or games.

You don't want to run 64 bit Windows because most drivers aren't available in a 64 bit version and the 32 bit versions usually won't work.

Do I understand you right, Mike?
(I will reword your sentence above:)

I don't want to buy a 64 bit Windows computer because some things aren't available, or won't work on it?

That is what they sort of suggested.

Do I understand you right, Mike?
(I will reword your sentence above:)

I don't want to buy a 64 bit Windows computer because some things aren't available, or won't work on it?

That is what they sort of suggested.

You will buy 64 bit hardware.

You don't want to load 64 bit Windows XP on it (unless maybe Vista makes that moot because you'd have the same driver issues anyway. I dunno.)

You will buy 64 bit hardware.

I take that to mean everything out there is now 64 bit. (?)

You don't want to load 64 bit Windows XP on it (unless maybe Vista makes that moot because you'd have the same driver issues anyway. I dunno.)

I will be buying XP, (and it will come loaded already). (if loaded means 'installed on the harddrive').

Are we still on the same page? Sorry I am not familiar with the language.

Dave,
If XP's coming pre-loaded, its probably 32bit. There really is no need for anyone to go 64bit right now for home-computing.

32bit applications will run on a 64bit operating system, but for all intensive purposes, not the other way around.

Just keep it simple and avoid the 64bit stuff. :)

Back