Fuel to tabs in C172S?

Brian Austin

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Austin
I don't have my POH with me at the moment.

Anyone know what how much fuel is in the tanks in a 172S when it's filled to the tabs? Doing some flight planning for tomorrow (and avoiding work, of course). ;)

I think it was 52,54 gallons. I think you've still got 50 useable, although I haven't flown an S or SP model in probably 9 months now.

Is it that much? Total tank capacity is 56 with 53 usable. Thought it was less than that.

placard near filler cap says 17.5 usable to bottom of filler indicator tab

I believe its 35 gallons to the tabs.

I "Believe," not know.

Brian Austin said:
17.5 x 2 = 35 ;)

Thanks!

HA...that's what happens when you read a few posts and reply without reading the rest.

My bad.

sshekels said:
According to this its 53 gal usable.

http://www.csgaviation.com/specs172s.pdf

S.
To the tabs is not full (53 is full usable in 172R/S). There is a filler pipe in the top of the tank. The bottom of the pipe is typically called a 'tab' (don't know why). My FBO is into heavy training and regularly only fills to this level. When on short cross countries, I don't care. Longer ones, however, I need to plan for an early fuel stop if I'm going to areas that may not be reliable sources of fuel (like Monument Valley). So I stop on the way there for a restroom/fuel break.

NickDBrennan said:
HA...that's what happens when you read a few posts and reply without reading the rest.

My bad.
No sweat. I'd rather have the answer twice than not at all! :)

Hmm, 35 to the tabs. I am surprised at the difference!

Hmm... Must read and understand question... :) My bad, thought you meant total fuel.

Back