Fuel Leak - Cessna 182 (Hope it's not the bladder... but it could be...)

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed. :(

Co-owner sent this photo from the hangar this morning.

Background: We had a small fuel leak last year that came down the right front pillar into the cabin area, and the shop found that the rubber hoses that attach the bladders to the vent lines over the cabin were dry, brittle, cracked, etc... and all were replaced. They didn't look like they were replaced when the bladders were in the 90's.

This leak today looks worse, and could be coming from the left bladder in our 1975 C-182 P-model.

Heh... one flight. One flight back to home base after the avionics shop visit, and this crops up. What's the joke again? The two happiest days of your life, the day you buy the airplane and the day you sell it? :goofy:

Looks like we're grounded again, and she'll head into the shop this week (if they have an opening) to see where it's coming from.

Stick reading says that we lost 2 gallons in the hangar. No sign of the leak post-flight after the trip back to KAPA, this showed up after the airplane sat unflown for a week, waiting on better weather.

Attachments

• 79M-fuel-leak-feb2011.jpg
    79M-fuel-leak-feb2011.jpg
    578.2 KB · Views: 157
Seeing that might cause me to issue curse words.

Sorry it's a problem, but the only thing worse than finding a problem, is missing the problem... so fix it, and go fly enough that the cost of repair disappears into background noise.

Nate,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think you've got a bladder problem. Er, your plane does. ;)

Ol' N271G had the original bladder in the left wing, and a long-ago-replaced bladder in the right wing, IIRC. They're theoretically only supposed to last 15 years. We had a blue streak on the side of the plane under the left sump for quite a while - And the sump ended up getting replaced a couple of times. Then we tried not filling that side all the way, because they thought maybe there was a leak right up at the top by the filler. But, eventually they found that the bladder was leaking a bit. It just happened to be coming out of the wing at the sump.

So, we got both bladders done in 2008. They found some corrosion at the same time :hairraise: on the inside of the body panels where it met the interior (apparently Cessna used corrosive glue on the insulation), so we got that repaired, including complete replacement of one body panel, at the same time. Total bill was about $15K, of which about half was the bladders, IIRC.

Sorry. :(

Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed. :(

Co-owner sent this photo from the hangar this morning.

Background: We had a small fuel leak last year that came down the right front pillar into the cabin area, and the shop found that the rubber hoses that attach the bladders to the vent lines over the cabin were dry, brittle, cracked, etc... and all were replaced. They didn't look like they were replaced when the bladders were in the 90's.

This leak today looks worse, and could be coming from the left bladder in our 1975 C-182 P-model.

Heh... one flight. One flight back to home base after the avionics shop visit, and this crops up. What's the joke again? The two happiest days of your life, the day you buy the airplane and the day you sell it? :goofy:

Looks like we're grounded again, and she'll head into the shop this week (if they have an opening) to see where it's coming from.

Stick reading says that we lost 2 gallons in the hangar. No sign of the leak post-flight after the trip back to KAPA, this showed up after the airplane sat unflown for a week, waiting on better weather.

If my experience is any guide, your problem is likely to be the gasket on the fuel level sender. In my plane (182B) the gaskets are cork, and they compress in service. Cold weather causes them to leak. The cure is to tighten the mounting screws. Use a #2 Phillips bit and a hex ratchet to fit (available at Sears). You will probably find that the screws do need tightening. Likewise the mounting screws on the fuel filler/bladder interface.

Dave

Hey all,

Thanks for the comments on the fuel sender -- talked with the others owners, and they'll be having a discussion with the local shop tomorrow to start investigating. Also good to know about the possible corrosion problem, Kent.

We'll see... how many AMU's... :)

Confirmed. Bladder rubber is having a problem. Mechanic says "disintegrating".

Bladder installed 2004. Always hangared, no alcohol in fuel, a few tanks of MoGas (tested no alcohol), 100LL. Tanks almost always full.

FFC brand tanks.

Mechanic talking to them tomorrow about warranty. Plenty of evidence that FFC and Eagle bladders from this timeframe are problematic at short-lived at best. Cessna Pilots Assn and Bonanza folks seem to all have similar stories.

Original Goodyears made it almost 29 years. Something very wrong big-picture-wise here.

We know the bladder's coming out for sure. Biggest tough call is the right bladder is only five months older than the left by manufacturing date, but wasn't installed until '06. Will be interesting to see what FFC has to say about this.

From trolling the Net for premature bladder failures, the years 2004-2006 look particularly bad. Perhaps even AD bad.

I'm skeptical that they'll truly "make it right" in this economy. I'm also skeptical that they'd 'fess up if there were any known issues around that timeframe other than to cut us a "deal" on a new bladder or offer to repair this (in my mind) defective one.

Here's the summary I just posted over at the Cessna Pilot's Association, which covers everything so far... thoughts, comments, questions, commiseration welcome here at PoA, too... of course.

------

Time to summarize the couple of weeks and ask some questions of the gang here at CPA... about our bladder issue in a 1975 C-182P.

A couple weeks ago, one of our LLC co-owners arrived at the hangar to do some work on the tug and putter around, and found the left-side of the aircraft covered in a blue stain from mid-wing all the way to the rear wing root that had run considerably down the aircraft side.

Measuring with the stick... 2 gallons had gone overboard somewhere from that wing.

Prior to this we had had a more "minor" event with some fuel showing around the drain area, and a couple of drips on the pilot's door and we were "monitoring".

Let's get the info about how she's "treated" out here as well.

Aircraft is KAPA based. Dry Colorado air, always hangared.

Hangared for the entire life of the aircraft other than maybe a maximum of three weeks outdoors a year when we go on trips somewhere and tie-down.

The LLC has owned the aircraft 5 years.

Trips in the last two years have been to KGEU, KHND, and KUNU (never made it into KOSH last year - Sloshkosh! GRIN!), and a couple of airports in South Dakota.

There's currently three LLC co-owners and each of us might take two long trips a year, if that. That's when it's parked outside. As you can see, some of those locations are hot/dry, but the aircraft is fueled on arrival whenever possible.

Our hangar isn't climate controlled, and it can get hot in there, but it is vented overhead, and never is the wing in direct sunlight, etc.

None of the "bad for bladders" things are typically ever done to this aircraft.

A&P at KAPA took the ol' girl into the shop as we started to dig through the logs. Logs showed that the original bladder on the left side had made it 29 years (again, hangared and not abused) and was replaced in 2004 prior to our LLC buying the aircraft.

Right side replaced in 2006, different shop, different A&P.

Same manufacturer. Both bladders appear to be FFC bladders. Their date codes put them being built within 5 months of each other, so the right side bladder (the good one, for now) was maybe stored for about 1/2 year before being installed.

Whether that was stored at the manufacturer or here in town somewhere is unknown.

The A&P's word at KAPA to describe the bladder's failure mode was "disintegrating". The rubber is failing.

From what he can see through the inspection ports, it's failing forward of the left wing-root, and on back, an area that is never "dry" in the tank. Just forward of the drain.

A&P called FFC to see what they might do, since this is obviously a failure of the rubber. FFC says "5 year warranty" on the left bladder. They will do nothing for us.

I find it interesting that their website has this chart:
http://www.ffcfuelcells.com/repairs.asp

The chart shows no difference in technology for the bladders built since that time, but the standard warranty is now 10 years? Competition or did something really change?

Cute. Count me in the "FFC can bite me" crowd as of right at this moment.

Frankly, my podcast listeners and anyone within earshot is going to hear about this too... so they probably just shot themselves squarely in the foot, but I'm willing to talk.

Anyway...

We're looking at and talking about options right now amongst the LLC owners. The aircraft is back in our hangar with an estimate from the A&P of 16 to 18 hours of labor (which seems a touch high, from reading here, but it's a sucky job... I know...), and $1000 for the left bladder from Eagle.

A&P wants to put an Eagle bladder in the left wing. He says he's had "two INSTALLATION failures" of FFC bladders in the very recent past (likely both this year, but I didn't hear him say that) on two different aircraft.

He refuses to recommend FFC any more.

He also said the Eagle bladders have a better "fit" than the FFC bladders, and installation is easier.

Eagle wants $1000 for the bladder, per the A&P.

He also wants to replace the drains which are sold as a pair for $190 with Eagle drains. Well, the left side for sure, anyway... and I guess we'd have the other one stored for later on?

Annoying that Eagle sells them in pairs. Thanks Eagle. Dumb. But it's $190... so who cares, really, I guess.

Some questions arise:

If the right wing is or isn't still under warranty (it's literally within a month right now, we believe...) should we have the A&P go over the right wing with a fine-toothed comb looking for ANY signs it's in initial failure while it's under warranty?

It'd save $1000, but we'd then be doing both tanks at the same time, but instructing the A&P to put the bladder he likes (Eagle) in the left wing, and the one he doesn't like (FFC) in the right wing.

That'd be odd. Might even make him cranky with us. LOL!

What's the benefit to the Eagle drains? Anyone have a feel for that one? Is it easier to install or better or...?

We see that the Cessna style drains were replaced in the 90's probably ten years prior to the bladders. The RIGHT side drain has dripped from time to time, and the ASSUMPTION is that it was the drain... but maybe the right bladder is leaking... which leads again back to that particular question above.

Here's the interesting part... all the information I can find "out there", including perusing thousands of messages here in this forum, and Googling the Beechcraft and other type clubs... says that EAGLE bladders are the ones from that year range (2004-2006) that failed a lot, and it was cracking nipples in most cases. A large number of Eagle failures in the C-182 forum here.

I can't find any stories along the lines of "disintegrating" bladders anywhere. Anyone else ever had that diagnosis from your A&P?!

More info on history, no Ethanol/Alcohol in the bladders ever (although we have run about 2 or 3 full tanks of Ethanol-Free MoGas through them, since the STC was added to the aircraft, but MoGas is clear across town, and we only seem to do it when someone has a long X-C and the aircraft needs fuel, which is... since we tend to keep it full or near full... never...)?

Trying to think if there's anything else I missed here that someone might ask.

Very interested in thoughts from CPA folks. We're not happy about the surprise, but we're all generally willing to "fix it right"... we're just looking for more knowledge/data to add to our heads to make the best decision for the airplane.

And I'm seriously P.O.ed at FFC, but technically I shouldn't be. It was 5 years, and they stuck to it.

The previous tanks lasted 29... this FFC piece of junk apparently was designed to make it exactly 2 years past warranty in the same conditions. Sad, and totally inappropriate, considering the original was the "inferior" technology rubber, and all that hoo-hah that they tout on their website.

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? A&P probably wants our concensus/opinion next week...

Confirmed. Bladder rubber is having a problem. Mechanic says "disintegrating".

Bladder installed 2004. Always hangared, no alcohol in fuel, a few tanks of MoGas (tested no alcohol), 100LL. Tanks almost always full.

Contrary to public belief it isn't the alcohol that harms fuel cells.

the benzene and toluene that attack the cell which in most cases isn't rubber it is ura somptin.

If you still have the warranty, read it, it will say that auto fuel is not to be used in the cell.

Last edited:
Okay, now you have me curious. How's the STC approved on all these older 182s if MoGas (this being the high-octane stuff with no ethanol that one finds at airport fuel pumps 'round here, not stuff from a gas station) isn't supposed to be in the modern tanks?

We've certainly seen plenty of folks rave about the two available STCs that allow it in this aircraft and even tout that they'd rather have bladders than wet wings in comments mixed with the fact that they run MoGas in various forums for all sorts of STCed MoGas burners of various sorts.

I wasn't involved with the purchase of the STC but i know it's damn common on older 182s.

Rarely has there been any MoGas in the tanks. Always a mix of MoGas and 100LL as the next fill up would invariably be 100LL and the tanks weren't empty of it when the MoGas was added.

Are you saying that all these folks flying nothing but MoGas are chewing up years of life off their bladders? How about three tanks worth over 7 years? Somehow I'm not buying this. Or there'd be scores of people saying not to do the STC which is quite popular and available through EAA as one of the two available.

The original warranty paperwork doesn't appear to be attached to the logs, unfortunately. We could ask the manufacturer but they don't seem to be an impartial party to this.

You have me very curious now.

Okay, now you have me curious. How's the STC approved on all these older 182s if MoGas (this being the high-octane stuff with no ethanol that one finds at airport fuel pumps 'round here, not stuff from a gas station) isn't supposed to be in the modern tanks?

The two auto fuel STCs were aproved before the EPA took the lead out of auto fuels. and replaced the lead with benzene and toluene.

We've certainly seen plenty of folks rave about the two available STCs that allow it in this aircraft and even tout that they'd rather have bladders than wet wings in comments mixed with the fact that they run MoGas in various forums for all sorts of STCed MoGas burners of various sorts.

I wasn't involved with the purchase of the STC but i know it's damn common on older 182s.

Rarely has there been any MoGas in the tanks. Always a mix of MoGas and 100LL as the next fill up would invariably be 100LL and the tanks weren't empty of it when the MoGas was added.

Are you saying that all these folks flying nothing but MoGas are chewing up years of life off their bladders? How about three tanks worth over 7 years? Somehow I'm not buying this. Or there'd be scores of people saying not to do the STC which is quite popular and available through EAA as one of the two available.

The original warranty paperwork doesn't appear to be attached to the logs, unfortunately. We could ask the manufacturer but they don't seem to be an impartial party to this.

You have me very curious now.

The two chemicals devolve the resins in the cells and the cell will operate normally until you return to 100LL then it becomes brittle because it doesn't have the two chemicals to keep it pliable.

Talk to these folks
http://www.hartwig-fuelcell.com/

So mixing 100LL and MoGas is a big no-no? One or the other?

Also sending a thanks for all the replies thus far. Lots of folk replying over at CPA too. This bladder failing around 7 years is downright epidemic. Tons and tons of "me too" over there.

Thanks folks. Keeping an open mind on all data points here.

Maybe that "get the MoGas STC for cheap fuel when you can get it" is actually a horrid idea. I shudder to think of what's in the filter and goes through the engine as a bladder breaks down chemically. And where the crap could end up.

Ugh.

We learned through a tip on the CPA forum and other research that Eagle started manufacturing their own bladders in 2006. Prior to that they resold FFC.

In a conversation with "Kevin" at FFC this morning, he voiced concerns with Eagle in that they're PMA'd but not TSO'd.

The information about warranties is also correct. Everyone around the 2004 time-frame was 5 years. Everyone is now 10. FFC will repair (at our cost for shipping both ways and the repair) our failed 2004 bladder if it's repairable. No deals for those "caught in the middle" timeline-wise here.

For the difference of about $500 we can put in the new Eagle bladder, which is our A&P IA's preference anyway. He also wants to install the STC'd Eagle drains/sumps. No worries about whatever "ate" this FFC bladder, and we move on with all new on the left side.

FFC warned heavily against the use of Prist brand fuel additives. I believe that's more a Jet-A thing isn't it? For those interested.

We'll deal with the right side if/when it starts leaking.

We're also going to look carefully at the Eagle warranty regarding the use of MoGas. We have the STC for our O-470 equipped C-182P, so it'll be good to know where we stand on that front going forward. We rarely use it, as it is.

Thanks to all for the input. Appreciate it very much.

As I said before, talk to these guys,
http://www.hartwig-fuelcell.com/

Planning on it, but for our aircraft it's a bit of a moot point even if they have evidence that MoGas is bad for their cells. The Eagle warranty is all that counts unless you want to count the labor bill and the headache, since the Eagle is already ordered and headed this way, and that's the option that keeps the IA happiest. ;)

We talked a bit this weekend about leaning harder on FFC but realized in the best case scenario, we'd get a free bladder that the IA didn't like to install, and we'd bet some additional "courtesy labor charges" (my nickname) for "forcing" the use of something in a job the IA probably already dislikes. Ticking off your A&P IA is probably "not smart" at the end of the day. ;)

But still planning on a phone call. Would love to see one of the Alphabet groups get a panel of bladder experts together and some real numbers on failure rates, what the failures have turned out to be, etc. There seems to be more than a little "drama" coming from the small group of competitors. Since they can't slander their competition, it seems ripe for independent testing and survey of bladder tank operators by a third-party.

Back