Fuel flow option with JPI 730

Palmtreeflying

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
palmtreeflying
For those that have the JPI monitoring. I am looking at the JPI 730 for my very old, vfr only, airplane. I was going to opt for the basic CHT/EGT monitoring for now and add to it later. I want to use the JPI for engine diagnostic more than LOP operations. Mike Bush mentioned fuel flow to be as important as CHT/EGT for diagnostics. I was going to wait on fuel flow for now because cost is a factor at this point in time. Does anyone have advice on the importance of getting fuel flow, or just waiting? Thank you!

If you plan to add it make sure the instrument is set up to add it. My 711 wasn't and to add it meant returning the instrument to the factory for modification. I wasn't willing to do that so added an FS-450 instead.

My fuel flow has been a better diagnostic tool than my monitor. I was on the fence about adding one. Now I'll never have another plane without a fuel flow instrument.

If you plan to add it make sure the instrument is set up to add it. My 711 wasn't and to add it meant returning the instrument to the factory for modification. I wasn't willing to do that so added an FS-450 instead.

My fuel flow has been a better diagnostic tool than my monitor. I was on the fence about adding one. Now I'll never have another plane without a fuel flow instrument.
Thank you, that is what I was wondering.

O360 in a 1963 Cherokee 180
The 730 is a very nice monitor. I'll agree with Stewart to a degree and say that I look at fuel flow as much as I do temperature data. Fuel flow info really helps with leaning once you know what flow to expect. I'm tempted to say the 730 is a bit of overkill for a 360 but that's really just an owner's call thing since the temperature data is peace of mind on engine operation. While the 730 is not TSO'd primary that little fact doesn't stop a pilot from using the info it provides.

Looking at Sun N Fun, I have decided it would be slightly cheaper to just get the 830 now instead of piecing together a 730 over time. The order page asked about pressurized or non-pressurized mags? I assume I have non-pressurized? Bendix -20 & -21.

Looking at Sun N Fun, I have decided it would be slightly cheaper to just get the 830 now instead of piecing together a 730 over time. The order page asked about pressurized or non-pressurized mags? I assume I have non-pressurized? Bendix -20 & -21.

Non pressurized mags, unless you’re turbocharged, and even then not always...

Paul, turbo’d the O360 in my FG Cardinal years ago...

I LOVE my 730...it's absolutely fantastic to have all the parameters visible at once.

I use the fuel flow a lot, both to switch tanks after every X gallons, and when leaning.

Do you need the RPM/MP options? Without those is the 830 still priced better than the 730?

I LOVE my 730...it's absolutely fantastic to have all the parameters visible at once.

I use the fuel flow a lot, both to switch tanks after every X gallons, and when leaning.

Do you need the RPM/MP options? Without those is the 830 still priced better than the 730?
I am going to use the RPM option with the 830. Since I don't have a MP gauge currently, I don't plan to use that one. Might e-bay it? Yes, the price is still slightly better. With the current rebate, you get $300 off the 830 & $200 off the 730.

Back