Fuel Bladder Accuracy

Cpt_Kirk

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Ted Striker
Can i, within reasonable accuracy, use a fuel stick to gauge the fuel remainiing in an aircraft with a bladder? The gas gauges arent the best in the world and "guesstimating" my useable remaining after a flight is not high on my list.

Im used to a cell or a wet wing and am not sure of the amount of potential variation included in a bladder system.

It would be one of those generic fuel sticks that youre able to calibrate yourself. Opening the cap and looking in always leads me to believe i have less than that what i anticipate.

It should be perfectly reliable. at least as reliable as a wide, flat container can be. mine barely register until more than 10 gallons is in there and for that to be reliable the plane must be level.

Unless you have a retaining clip missing, it should be just as accurate as a wet wing. I can estimate our fuel level accurately to within about 1 gallon per tank with a dip stick on level ground. (182Q with 37.5 usable per side).

Jeff

I guess i have my answer. I just wasnt sure if there was a noticeable expansion or retraction of the bladder depending of fuel level.

In an older mooney with bladders the tank looks empty when you still have 10 or 15 gallons left. Not sure about others. Maybe run a tank dry and add 5 or 10 gallons at a time and see if the calculations are accurate.

In an older mooney with bladders the tank looks empty when you still have 10 or 15 gallons left. Not sure about others. Maybe run a tank dry and add 5 or 10 gallons at a time and see if the calculations are accurate.

It's a 1964 Mooney, so that does help.

It's a 1964 Mooney, so that does help.

The one I fly is a 62...I think 27.4 per side. Does that sound right? Make sure you watch them fill tanks or do it yourself if you are relying on full fuel. Our tanks look pretty full (less than an inch from cap) and you can still pump another 3-5 gallons in.

The one I fly is a 62...I think 27.4 per side. Does that sound right? Make sure you watch them fill tanks or do it yourself if you are relying on full fuel. Our tanks look pretty full (less than an inch from cap) and you can still pump another 3-5 gallons in.
Sounds close enough.

That's the type of note that I put on personalized lists for each type I fly. Thanks and will do.

Our tanks look pretty full (less than an inch from cap) and you can still pump another 3-5 gallons in.

On ours, proper fill is to the bottom of the filler neck. An inch below the filler neck is a lot of volume spread over the size of the tank.

When I replaced the bladder on a 182P, the owner had purchased a clear stick that was marked for the type airplane. We filled it ten gallons at a time to check the stick and for leaks in the tubing. Stick was very accurate.

Back