Fuel and air

Legiox

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
RatherBflying
Question. Going on a XC to KCRE and spending practically the entire day there. Takeoff around 1200z and probably coming back home around 2300z. Not going to be using much fuel since im flying a DA-40 down there and the trip is only about 50min. Should i top off down at the airport (KCRE) or would i be ok and just save some money and sump the fuel before i takeoff? Just don't want any air in the tank while it sits tie downed at airport for 6+hrs.

Question. Going on a XC to KCRE and spending practically the entire day there. Takeoff around 1200z and probably coming back home around 2300z. Not going to be using much fuel since im flying a DA-40 down there and the trip is only about 50min. Should i top off down at the airport (KCRE) or would i be ok and just save some money and sump the fuel before i takeoff? Just don't want any air in the tank while it sits tie downed at airport for 6+hrs.

Why does air in your tanks sitting on the ramp for 6 hours hurt anything? If you are worried about condensation that's not gonna happen in 6 hours during the day. Lots of pilots fly with only enough fuel to get there and back with only a 1/2 hour reserve. My min is an hour, but that'd just me. I would not fill up. Just extra weight you don't need for such a short flight.

Relax and enjoy the day! :happydance:

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm just being safe and double checking.

I have 60 gallon tanks and do not leave them full. Otherwise it would be a real pain if I needed to trade fuel for passenger weight. I also don't see any reason to buy fuel that is more expensive than I need if I can make the trip with 1 hour+ reserves. You are not going to have any negative effects in 6 hours. If I shut down and walked away from the plane I will always do a preflight which includes sumping the tanks and measuring the quantity with a fuel stick.

i'm pretty sure your tanks are not able to hold enough air to condense enough water to make a difference.

i'm pretty sure your tanks are not able to hold enough air to condense enough water to make a difference.

Certainly not over one night. Let the airplane sit outside with low tanks for a month or two in a humid place, and it might be a different story.

Dan

Certainly not over one night. Let the airplane sit outside with low tanks for a month or two in a humid place, and it might be a different story.

Dan
no it won't. The only time you'll get "condensation" in your tanks is after parking out in the rain with leaky fuel caps. Grab some psychrometric tables, plug in the volume of your tank and the most ridiculous assumptions for temperature change and air exchanges that you can think of, and you'll see it's not possible.

Back