FS: iPad Mini 16GB - Cracked Screen

kurtsnyder

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Mooney_Pilot
FS: iPad Mini 16GB WiFi - Cracked Screen

I am going to be buying a new iPad mini Retina and have decided to sell my current iPad mini. It functions perfectly and it in pretty much perfect condition other than the cracked screen. I've been using it for months with the cracked screen and don't really even notice it any more. You can buy a new screen on Ebay for about $30, but I don't have the know how to replace it. There are no dents or scratches anywhere on it other than 1 place on the left side (see pic) where the screen cover rubbed the paint off. It comes with the original box, brand new charger and cable. I'm asking $175 plus $8 shipping. I figured I'd try here before listing on Ebay.

IMG_3088.jpg

I don't know why the screen looks fuzzy/funny in this pic, but in person it doesn't look that way.

IMG_3091.jpg

IMG_3092.jpg

IMG_3093.jpg

IMG_3095.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, too steep for me then. With the new ones going for $299 and the cracked screen costing about $130 to replace seems like I'd be better off just getting a new one. Ebay does have some inexplicably high prices though, so maybe you'll find a willing buyer somewhere.

I don't think a screen costs $130 to replace even if you take it to a repair shop, but I may be wrong. You can get a replacement screen and digitizer for $30 on eBay. I was actually thinking of doing that, since it looks like a pretty simple fix if you know how to solder, which I don't. You have to solder the connector to the cable. I decided to go with the new one since it has the new processor.

At any rate, I just looked at Ebay again, and I've decided to drop the price to $175 since that is more reasonable.

Last edited:
Yeah, you can get the parts for $50 and do it yourself if you know enough not to wreck an expensive toy. I googled and the cheapest I found to have someone else do it was $130.

Here is the replacement screen and digilitizer for $22 and free shipping. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Ipad-...ablet_eReader_Accessories&hash=item19d7e7eeb2 Maybe I should roll the dice and try fixing it myself and then sell it. I have absolutely no experience soldering though and don't want to ruin an otherwise good iPad.

Obviously it's up to you, but I'm uncomfortable turning a ~$200 ipad into a soldering instructional exercise. :)

That's why I had to use the more pessimistic estimates.

Wondering why the OP didn't just take it to Apple and let them give him a new unit :dunno:

Wondering why the OP didn't just take it to Apple and let them give him a new unit :dunno:

Because Apple doesn't repair broken iPad Mini screens. They wanted $219 plus tax for me to give them my broken iPad and they would give me a refurbished one. What a joke!

Back