Frozen Battery

Well I stopped to talk to him about getting an Odyssey, he already had a Concorde sitting out ready to put in it... I thought "You know for him being willing to replace it without me brining it up, and him not brining up prorating it, I'm going to thank him for being stand up guy, let him toss the Concorde in, and when I get around to it I'll do the Odyssey down the road"

He didn't even want to look at the old one, or give it a try or test, he said "In those temps (had been as low as 10 F) and dead its junk" They made a mistake, I could have made, he made it right... I want the Odyssey but can deal with that down the road... Means a lot to me he manned right up offering the replacement before I had to ask...

Sounds right. Anybody can make a mistake. Someone who’ll make it right will get my business. And respect.

Even froze? My guy figured played were cracked n such as it was dead for a few days as low as 10...

What type of booster? I mean nothing to lose on this one sitting on my kitchen floor right now...

If the battery is totally flat it may not accept a charge from your smart charger. A little trick you can use is to connect the dead battery in parallel with a good battery. Once the dead battery accepts enough charge, you can disconnect the good one. This has worked multiple times for me with airplane an car batteries.

If the plates are warped and shorted from freezing, nothing is going to help and the shorts may trip your charger, or it will be never come up to full voltage.

What type of booster? I mean nothing to lose on this one sitting on my kitchen floor right now...
I know the Concorde Maintenance manual has a recovery procedure for their batteries(not sure if it applies to frozen) but it's basically a constant voltage charge for up to 8 hours, then a capacity test, then if it fails that a conditioning charge at constant current of C1/10 for 16 hours, then a capacity test.

Oh, here's the deep discharge one, constant current of C1/10 until 31 volts(15.5 for 12v batteries) then 4 more hours then a capacity test.

Back