Frontier / Republic Airlines - Hail damage

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
Just called to cancel a trip for my wife and they have a recording that says numerous aircraft were damaged on July 13th at Denver International by hail and it's still causing them problems, system-wide since they all need repair.

Just a heads up, and wondering if anyone has photos. Guess it sucks bad if hail rolls through your hub.

Some insurance company is quite unhappy right about now, I'd bet, unless Republic is self-insured. If they are, this event won't help them much in the all out war that Southwest is waging on them for Denver traffic.

"Your expected hold time is 47 minutes." Bah.

This cancelled trip was the final "use up the miles" trip before dropping Frontier as the company to roll cash through their credit card too. Now we'll have to keep them until we go through what will probably be a multi-month process to get the miles back, probably. Wife's plans changed. We'll see.

Wasn't going to support them anymore after the Republic buy-out. They're just not the same "local" company anymore. Probably won't even bother with a miles card after this anymore. Was just a fan of them making a comeback years ago. They didn't make it, really. Republic just wanted their branding.

Just a heads up, and wondering if anyone has photos. Guess it sucks bad if hail rolls through your hub.

20110716__frontier~p1.jpg

http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_18492969

DENVER — Frontier Airlines has announced more flight cancellations through Monday after golf ball-sized hail at Denver International Airport took almost a third of its Airbus fleet out of service.
The Denver-based carrier said it had cancelled a total of 96 flights for Saturday, Sunday and Monday, on top of more than 100 flights that had been scheduled to leave Thursday and Friday.
Eighteen of the carrier's 59 Airbus planes plus two turboprops were damaged by the hail Wednesday night.

Ouch.

Their system was pretty accurate on the hold time and they charge $50 to give the miles back. It's still cheaper than buying a ticket so ... Done. ;)

Ouch.

Their system was pretty accurate on the hold time and they charge $50 to give the miles back. It's still cheaper than buying a ticket so ... Done. ;)

I would have asked them to waive it, especially if they canceled the flight you were on. Most airlines offer full refunds if flights are canceled due to extenuating circumstances.

If they wouldn't waive it, it reinforces my decision to not set foot on whatever flavor of airline Republic is running. I miss Midwest, which got assimilated into the borg.

If they wouldn't waive it, it reinforces my decision to not set foot on whatever flavor of airline Republic is running. I miss Midwest, which got assimilated into the borg.

I believe RAH is having another operator recover their trips. Not confirmed, but a pilot on another board asked what had happened and why he was flying their passengers today.

Back