From the Can't Make This Up department ...

MSmith

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mark Smith
Our internal e-mail is acting up. On my PC, the "Requesting Data ..." window keeps popping up.

So I walk over to the Help Desk folks.

Me: Is there something wrong with e-mail?
Help Desk: Oh yeah, big time. I might have to send out an e-mail about it.
Me: But how would they read it?

Really. I'm not making this up. He said that.

After my question he was clearly flustered and babbled about some people being able to access e-mail.

(This really happened to me about 30 minutes ago.)

And believe it or not, I just received the e-mail from him about e-mail problems.

Unbelievable.

MSmith said:
Me: Is there something wrong with e-mail?
Help Desk: Oh yeah, big time. I might have to send out an e-mail about it.
Me: But how would they read it?

As Bill Engvall would say....."heeeere's yer sign." :goofy:

MSmith said:
And believe it or not, I just received the e-mail from him about e-mail problems.

Unbelievable.
I've had the opposite happen. I get a call from our CA office when the T-1 went down. "Hey, is the T-1 down? I can't access Citrix." I check and say, "Yup. It's down. Let everyone know, will you?" And his response, I'm not kidding:

"Why don't you just send an e-mail or something?"

I paused...a long time. He still didn't get it. I finally had to tell him: "Dude, if you can't access Citrix (thus e-mail)...uhm?" He got it.

MSmith said:

Unbelievable.

My all time favorite is the error message when booting that says "Keyboard Not Detected, Press F1 To Continue"

I used to think that one was a joke until I actually saw it.

Jeannie

As a small child I one time sent a present to a relative. Because we had to mail the package I had put the instructions--DO NOT OPEN UNTIL CHRISTMAS--inside the box.

Does that count?

MSmith said:
(This really happened to me about 30 minutes ago.)

I believe you.

Our super wonderful worlds best IT dept unconditionally insists on receiving email to advise them of any and all computer problems. They also created a ticketing system that uses email to address problems but that's deep inside another event horizon somewhere far far away but you better make sure you have the ticket number they autocreate when emailing them on followup email that you can't receive/send.
Call them up direct and they ream you for violating policy because they need a written electronic record of the problem for documentation purposes.

Bureaucracy (byoo-ro-krazy) n. 1. The system for getting things done that keep things from getting done.

Richard said:
As a small child I one time sent a present to a relative. Because we had to mail the package I had put the instructions--DO NOT OPEN UNTIL CHRISTMAS--inside the box.

Does that count?

There was the time that I submitted a Uniform Request for Reimbursement with a receipt from the White's Boot Company, a department analyst wrote back that I was not authorized to wear "white" boots, they had to be black or brown…:dunno:

Having fun in California,

Dave

fgcason said:
I believe you.

Our super wonderful worlds best IT dept unconditionally insists on receiving email to advise them of any and all computer problems. They also created a ticketing system that uses email to address problems but that's deep inside another event horizon somewhere far far away but you better make sure you have the ticket number they autocreate when emailing them on followup email that you can't receive/send.
Call them up direct and they ream you for violating policy because they need a written electronic record of the problem for documentation purposes.

Bureaucracy (byoo-ro-krazy) n. 1. The system for getting things done that keep things from getting done.

That also precludes you from 'borrowing' someone else's email to send the notice of the problem.

Some people just don't get it.

Some time back I called our IT department to advise them that I could not log into my work email account via my company issued remote access username/password (I was traveling in Europe). The IT guy informed me that they had detected a problem affecting several email accounts and had reset the username/passwords on those accounts. All such accounts were notified of the changes by email.

He never did see the light...

Back