From my old scrap book and logs

John J

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
JPJ
Just thought I would share some old scrap book stories with you all

Early this afternoon I was going through some of my old flight stuff and scrap book. I found a note in my scrap book, on how to talk to a control tower. I wrote this when I was 16 working for flying lessons at the airport. I looked into my first log book and found the date that I remember so well when I had to fly to a controlled field. This was over 45 years ago. It was in the late summer of 1960 and the day was so wonderfully clear. I had soloed and was well along on my cross countries both dual and solo. It was early in the afternoon while I was having my lunch brake when my wonderfull instructor came to me and said, "Do you want to fly?" Of course I wanted to fly and I stopped eating and said, "When"? He use to love to do this to me for I would get all reved up and I would stop everything just to go.

Well he told me that he thought it would be a great ideal that I learn how to use the radio to talk to towers. I began to sweat immediately.:hairraise: I was afraid of talking on the radio. The radio we had in the flight school PA 12 was the venerable Narco Superhomer. It had a whopping 3 channels to talk on and a "Coffee Grinder" receiving tuner. The radio weighed close to 20 pounds and it needed time to warm up. Yes it had tubes.

My instructor and I went over all the procedures concerning when to call the tower using position, altitude, number, type of plane and receiving frequency. There was no duplex in those days. The receiving frequency was very critical for this radio only had 3 chanels to talk on. i still remember them all 122.5 121.5 and 122.8 At that time 122.5 was a common tower frequency and I would transmitt on that and receive on the published frequency on the chart or AIM. The ideal was you would call the tower and ask for a short count on the receiving frequency. This is where the "Coffee Grinder" tuner comes in. You would call and listen for the tower to read back a short count while you are tuning in the receiver. Of course you did this while flying the plane, holding charts and looking out the windows. Interesting the Headsets were the old Headphones used in WWII and the mike was one of those real clunky ones that was big as a 4 cell flash light.

After this briefing my instructor and I took off from Annapolis to fly up to Baltimore's Harbor Field. It was the first commercial airport in Baltimore not far from Sparrows Point.Friendship or now BWI was built after WWIi in 1949.Harbor Field was right out of the 1930's. The flight was short about 25 miles Right after take off we turned on the Superhomer and waited about 2 minutes to get it warmed up. I was terrified to talk to the tower. I knew I had to call them at 10 miles out. Soon I was at the ten mile out point. I was sweating as I called the tower to ask for a short count. I tuned the receiver back and forth while flying the plane with my knees and feet. Quickly I heard the tower giving me the short count. Wow I could not believe it, first try. I talked more and was told to report 2 miles out for runway 9. I was worried the tuner might drift off frequency as I flew but it stayed on. I called again and was cleared to land. I was so happy to have made it without making a mistake. I knew though I had to fly home using the radio.

After having some cold water and just watching all the activity at the airport I felt ready to face the radio and tower again. Just before we climbed into the plane my instructor pointed to a large white circle painted onto the tarmac close to the base of the tower. He told me that where we will taxi to. I asked him why but he just smiled. I did not know it yet be he was going to teach me about working with light gun signals.

We started the plane and I reached to turn on the radio and he told me to leave it off for now. He told me to taxi over to the circle. Once I got to the circle he told me to face the tower. I did and then he told me to stir the stick and look at the tower. My sweaty hands held the stick as I stirred. Shortly I saw a nice flashing green light from the tower. My instructor told me I just had been cleared to taxi to the end of the runway. He then told me to turn on the Superhomer. We reached the end of the runway just as the Superhomer warmed up. Lucky the tuner section had not "Wondered" from the tower frequency. After the runup and final checks my instructor then told me to do the 360 turn slowly, checking for traffic and look at the tower at the end olf the turn. I did this and shortly I got a very beautiful sight. A very steady green light. The take off was great and wow I was so relieved I did not have to talk on the radio. The little home airport never looked so good.:)

Thank you for reading.

John

That was great John!!!!

Thanks for sharing

John J said:
There was no duplex in those days. The receiving frequency was very critical for this radio only had 3 chanels to talk on. i still remember them all 122.5 121.5 and 122.8 At that time 122.5 was a common tower frequency and I would transmitt on that and receive on the published frequency on the chart or AIM. The ideal was you would call the tower and ask for a short count on the receiving frequency. This is where the "Coffee Grinder" tuner comes in. You would call and listen for the tower to read back a short count while you are tuning in the
John, thank you for an excellent post and a flight down memory lane.

You mention that 122.5 was the common channel for transmitting to control towers. For radios that had it, 122.1 was the freq for flight service stations. Thus students in those days learned the mnemonic, "One for the run, five for the hive."

As transceivers began offering more transmitting crystals (wow -- seven, nine, even twelve channels!), and simplex frequencies (talk and listen on the same frequency) were becoming available, "whistle stop" tuning came into vogue. You'd set the transmitter crystal to the desired frequency, then crank the receiver around the analog dial until you heard a squeal in the speaker. The squeal was feedback signifying that your receiver was tuned to the same freq as your transmitter.

These radios had VOR built in, but there was only one receiver for both navigation and communication. So unless the ATC facility you were taking to had the capability of broadcasting over the VOR you were using, you had to choose between navigating and communicating. If I recall correctly, even with the vacuum-tube Narco Mark 12, the gold standard navcom of the 1960's, nav function was interrupted while the mic button was pushed.

The complete avionics suite in my Bonanza when it was delivered from the factory in 1959 was a single Narco VTR-2A Mark 2 Omnigator, a real deluxe model with (count 'em) 27 transmitter crystals.

Things had come a long way by the time I got my instrument rating in 1969 -- in a Cessna 150 with a single Narco Mark 12, VOR indicator (no glide slope), a marker beacon receiver and a stopwatch. I did my training at Long Beach, CA, which was then the fourth busiest airport in the country. The Mark 12 had only 90 com channels (118.0 to 126.9), which made for some awkward moments:

TWR: 94J, contact departure 127.2.
Me: Unable 127.2.
TWR: [sigh] Okay then, 118.1.

Those were the days, huh?

-- Pilawt

John as always great story. You need to put them all together in one compendiuim.

Rudy said:
That was great John!!!!

Thanks for sharing

Rudy

Thank you As my first instructor told me so many years ago, "my job it to share with you as my student everything that I have learned" My instructor learn to fly in 1919. I sure appreciate him.

Pilawt said:
John, thank you for an excellent post and a flight down memory lane.

You mention that 122.5 was the common channel for transmitting to control towers. For radios that had it, 122.1 was the freq for flight service stations. Thus students in those days learned the mnemonic, "One for the run, five for the hive."

As transceivers began offering more transmitting crystals (wow -- seven, nine, even twelve channels!), and simplex frequencies (talk and listen on the same frequency) were becoming available, "whistle stop" tuning came into vogue. You'd set the transmitter crystal to the desired frequency, then crank the receiver around the analog dial until you heard a squeal in the speaker. The squeal was feedback signifying that your receiver was tuned to the same freq as your transmitter.

These radios had VOR built in, but there was only one receiver for both navigation and communication. So unless the ATC facility you were taking to had the capability of broadcasting over the VOR you were using, you had to choose between navigating and communicating. If I recall correctly, even with the vacuum-tube Narco Mark 12, the gold standard navcom of the 1960's, nav function was interrupted while the mic button was pushed.

The complete avionics suite in my Bonanza when it was delivered from the factory in 1959 was a single Narco VTR-2A Mark 2 Omnigator, a real deluxe model with (count 'em) 27 transmitter crystals.

Things had come a long way by the time I got my instrument rating in 1969 -- in a Cessna 150 with a single Narco Mark 12, VOR indicator (no glide slope), a marker beacon receiver and a stopwatch. I did my training at Long Beach, CA, which was then the fourth busiest airport in the country. The Mark 12 had only 90 com channels (118.0 to 126.9), which made for some awkward moments:

TWR: 94J, contact departure 127.2.
Me: Unable 127.2.
TWR: [sigh] Okay then, 118.1.

Those were the days, huh?

-- Pilawt

Gosh those were the days. Your Beech is a 1959 K model and yes the "Ominigator" as we called it with yes "Whisle Stop Tuning" was a break through. I got my IR on one. Yikes I still can't believe it

I really appreciate your post. My hands are still very sweaty. I use to fly Beech planes from the factory to the mid Atlantic with an ARC Portable. that was from 1961 to 1964 Yikes lots of charts and E6B's.

Thank you so much

John

AdamZ said:
John as always great story. You need to put them all together in one compendiuim.

Adam

Thank you

I have decided thanks to my wonderul wayword son (musican) going to pull of this stuff to gether The log entries are wow I still read what is there so many years ago. I am begining to put all of this into something where I can help the new pilots.

Thank you

John

AdamZ said:
I second that! John, allow me to suggest a book containing all your old flight logs along with your current comments. I'd certainly buy that book.

John J said:
Adam

Thank you

I have decided thanks to my wonderul wayword son (musican) going to pull of this stuff to gether

That should make quite a treasure. Thanks for sharing.

John J said:
Gosh those were the days. Your Beech is a 1959 K model and yes the "Ominigator" as we called it with yes "Whisle Stop Tuning" was a break through. I got my IR on one. Yikes I still can't believe it.

Remember ...?
-- Military climb corridors;
-- ADIZ (the old-fashioned kind, guarding against fleets of Russian bombers) cutting huge swaths across western states, eastern states, the midwest and the northern tier;
-- Aural ranges and "red" airways between them;
-- Airway beacons;
-- "Able, Baker, Charlie, ...";
-- And the biggie, 80-octane at fifty cents a gallon! And factory new airplanes costing less than five grand to put it in!

Would I like to go back to those 'good old days'? Maybe. But I'd sure want to take GPS, satellite and radar weather images back with me!

John, you might be interested in my photo logbook, at www.geocities.com/grumman365ps. There's a page about my K35's long history there, too.

-- Pilawt

John J said:
Rudy

Thank you As my first instructor told me so many years ago, "my job it to share with you as my student everything that I have learned" My instructor learn to fly in 1919. I sure appreciate him.

And that you have!!!
Anytime I see a title to a post of yours with your old notes in it, I get excited, and I can't wait to read it.

Thanks,

John, you HAVE to make sure and tell us when that book comes out! Even if you only decide to selp publish or something, I know I want a copy of that. It is amazing to read about the "old days" and navigation/communication etc when you learned. Heck, I'm nervous if my GPS doesn't come up quickly. You guys really learned to do it when you had to think and fly at the same time.

The stories are great. It is wonderful that you had the presence of mind, even as a young man, to record this stuff.

Thanks.

Jim G

Pilawt;

Wow I sure do remember those climb corridors and the old ADIZ areas. I did get to fly practice approaches with the old LF range in the very early 1960s Baltimore had one and we use to practice on it.

Most of all I do remember when I first started out as a line boy at 15 80 octane was 35 cents a gallon. 100- to 130 octane the "green stuff" was 41 cents a gallon. The Cessna 172 new was $6.400 FAF with what was called a "Blind Flying Panel".

Thank you very much for the web site. I do enjoy it very much.

John

Last edited:
Richard, Rudy, Lance and Jim G.

Thank you all for your very kind words. I do love to go back and look times when I began learning. Interestng I was so lucky to see some of my uncles early logs when he flew during WW II. Also my old instructor who kept pictures and notes. I read them time and time again. I loved to read about the early days for I learned so much from others who have been there.

I do hope I can pass on stuff to help the new pilots. I am slowly putting all this stuff together. I would be very happy to share it with everyone.

Thank you

John

Last edited:
John J said:
After this briefing my instructor and I took off from Annapolis to fly up to Baltimore's Harbor Field. It was the first commercial airport in Baltimore not far from Sparrows Point.Friendship or now BWI was built after WWIi in 1949.Harbor Field was right out of the 1930's.

Great story, John. Thanks for sharing!

Does THIS bring back any memories?!

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/MD/Airfields_MD_Balt_SE.htm#harbor

One of my favorite sites...

Troy;

Thank you very much for the web site.

Wow it sure does bring back memories. It was a great airport. I do remember as a very young kid when I lived accross the bay seeing the DC-3 and Clippers flying toward Baltimore to land there.

Thank you again

John

Back