From Austin To Boston

cirrusmx

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
campoalavista
After 8 years living in the great state of Texas I decided to move to Boston, MASSACHUSETTS. Thus, here I am in the northeast on a totally unknown town(country), with no acquaintances, only a suitcase, one coat and 3 dollars in my pocket, no English spoken, and with about 3 months of a flying dry spell. :eek::eek::eek:

Anyways, I am about to start grad school in a about a week and would like to fly the most I can during my free time. I pretty much can fly any light piston aircraft (anywhere from 172 to sr22r and beech baron). I am looking for a flight club, partnership (equity/non equity), any worthwile buying opportunity, etc so I can get up in the air. Looking to log about 10 hours per month and getting my comm rating (time permitting). Does anyone have any good leads to a decently equipped bird here in the Boston area? Any help would be gladly appreciated.

If you can't find a personal deal check out east coast aero club. Better run then your average FBO.

http://www.beverlyflightcenter.com/

http://eastcoastaeroclub.com/

This place is really nice
http://executiveflyers.com/

Beverly is north of Boston. The other two are at Bedford Airport west of Boston.

I'm planning to move out there next spring or summer to flight instruct. One of my buddies is a senior FO for Delta and lives outside Boston. He's been pushing me to come out there and fly. Opportunities are plenty. Might as well do it.

You'll love Boston. I'm out there twice a year. Cool town.

Last edited:
Avoid anything massport and their airports. They are small GA hostile and the "security" is a complete waste of time and money.

Avoid anything massport and their airports. They are small GA hostile and the "security" is a complete waste of time and money.

I think Logan (Boston) and Hanscom (Bedford) are the only MassPort airports with (in)security issues.

Norwood is very GA friendly.
Beverly or Lawrence has been good in the past.
Nashua NH is a little far but possible.
If you want some fun flying, check out in a J-3 at Hampton NH on the coast.

Other possibility, Minute Man airport, not sure what they have for rentals.
Or join the Greater Boston Soaring Club at Sterling Mass.

If you're going into grad school than forget about flying and just about everything else and get the hell back to work.
ComicGradSchoolHell72dpi550pxw.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to New England! Some of the best flying in the country! (I'm not bias, I swear ;))

The Cape, Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket and Long Island all great lunch trips.

If you're going into grad school than forget about flying and just about everything else and get the hell back to work.

I tried that approach when I went to grad school, and a planned 18 month hiatus from flying turned into 20 years. I think you should try to keep current, but think biting off ownership would be to much of both a time and financial drain at a time when both resources probably have little margin.

I think Logan (Boston) and Hanscom (Bedford) are the only MassPort airports with (in)security issues.

Norwood is very GA friendly.
Beverly or Lawrence has been good in the past.
Nashua NH is a little far but possible.
If you want some fun flying, check out in a J-3 at Hampton NH on the coast.

Other possibility, Minute Man airport, not sure what they have for rentals.
Or join the Greater Boston Soaring Club at Sterling Mass.

They just got a 2004 Diamond DA20. I plan on getting checked out in it soon. I live about 10 minutes from there.

Do they still have the fee's for landing at night? IIR when I was at Executive talking to a couple instructors, MA is horrible for GA. All the fees they impose are ridiculous.

Do they still have the fee's for landing at night? IIR when I was at Executive talking to a couple instructors, MA is horrible for GA. All the fees they impose are ridiculous.

KBED has fees for operations after 11pm and before 7am. It's a sliding scale, with the fine fee increasing after a few offenses.

However, they will waive the fine fee if you've been delayed enroute (e.g., weather or stopping for gas because of headwinds). They don't want to be accused of putting undue pressure on a pilot so that the pilot rushes to avoid the fine fee. Ma$$port may have learned from the incident where they billed the owner of a C152 that was stolen and the thief buzzed KBOS a few times.

Back