Frito Chili Pie

Frito Chili Pie: Have you had it and do you love it?

• Total voters

SCCutler

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Spike Cutler
Yesterday, Celia Jane fixed (Texan for "prepared") Frito Chili Pie to eat while we watched (in stunned and disbelieving shock) Texas actually beat Oklahoma! She also fixed her stunningly awesome chili con queso; you cannot watch footbal without that.

Comfort Food and great football. What a combo!

So, you guys want us to make some at Gaston's next year?

Last edited:
Sounds like a great idea,

I might make some spaghetti red, its awesome too.

Let me be specific on "still sufferring the aftereffects": Folks, you would be hard pressed to find anything more calorie-dense than this dish, short of just eating lard straight out of the can. There is also the issue of gaseous emissions, but they're short-lived. The effects on the springs in your sofa, not to mention your arteries, are much longer-lasting.

But GOD it tastes good.

Judy

Hmmm -- here's our version of something that sounds pretty darn similar. Secret is, do not buy anything remotely fresh or healthy, everything comes from a can or with a plastic seal:

2 blocks of cream cheese, spread in bottom of pan
Top with a can of chili (your choice beans or not, we like beans)
Top with 1/2 jar of salsa, you choose how hot
Top with shredded cheese (again, you choose type but it must come pre-shredded in one of those zip top bags, nothing fancy)
Bake in oven till top cheese melts, then layer it up good with Fritos and put it back in the oven for about 5 more minutes.
Bring to table in front of TV, put potholder on table, set it down, open some beers, in a short time you will have gas galore, yes, that's good eatin'.
We have also been known to top this mixture with tater tots but if you do that you should pre-bake them first so they get crispy.
Elizabeth H

SCCutler said:
Yesterday, Celia Jane fixed (Texan for "prepared") Frito Chili Pie to eat while we watched (in stunned and disbelieving shock) Texas actually beat Oklahoma! She also fixed her stunningly awesome chili con queso; you cannot watch footbal without that.

Comfort Food and great football. What a combo!

So, you guys want us to make some at Gaston's next year?

Mmmm...I love frito pie. Its the only good thing to come out of Texas that I know of. :rofl:

I'm game for Frito Pies at Gastons, but anyone who rides in the plane with me afterwards may regret it :)

SCCutler said:

Where's the recipes?

Paul Allen said:
Where's the recipes?

LOL - I think I can field this one:

Chili Con Queso: Chili (texas style) with cheese, heated
Frito Pie: Fritos with Chili (texas style) and cheese, heated

Gotta love Texas food. Simple...but good.

New Mexican food is complex but good. I'll take simple any day when I have to prepare it myself!

EHITCH said:
Hmmm -- here's our version of something that sounds pretty darn similar. Secret is, do not buy anything remotely fresh or healthy, everything comes from a can or with a plastic seal:.....

Sounds delicious. Do you eat it using the Fritos as transport vessels or with cutlery?

Original(?) Frito Pie from Texas State Fair ca 1970:

Take individual size bag of Fritos. Open one side.
Spoon in some chili (Usually w/o beans)
Sprinkle on grated or shredded cheese

(Possibly add some diced onions)

Eat from bag with plastic fork as you walk.
Mitydamfine

Carol said:
Sounds delicious. Do you eat it using the Fritos as transport vessels or with cutlery?

Less messy with a spoon. Otherwise, finger lickin good, to steal a phrase from the Colonel.

Carol said:
I think that's the nicest way I've ever heard someone say "finger or fork". :)

AS a dessert yesterday at a family get together someone brought a thing called "Dirt Cake". Basically crushed Oreos, vanilla pudding, cream cheese and cool whip. MMMMM I'd never had it before, and shouldn't eat it again, but will. (in a New York second)

DIRT CAKE

FIRST LAYER:
ONE AND ONE-FOURTH POUNDS CRUSHED OREO COOKIES (RESERVE TWO FOR FLOWER POT HOLES)

SECOND LAYER:
TWO BOXES - SMALL INSTANT VANILLA PUDDING
TWO CUPS MILK
LET SET UP
NOW FOLD IN NINE OUNCE CONTAINER WHIPPED TOPPING

THIRD LAYER:
ONE EIGHT OUNCE PACKAGE CREAM CHEESE
ONE-HALF STICK MARGARINE
ONE CUP POWDERED SUGAR

WASH TWO 6-INCH CLAY FLOWER POTS. SCALD TO STERILIZE. PUT THE RESERVED COOKIES IN THE HOLE IN THE POT. LAYER THE THREE LAYERS, ENDING WITH CRUSHED COOKIES. REFRIGERATE CAKE.
TO SERVE: WRAP POT IN COLORED PAPER AND PLACE PLASTIC FLOWERS IN POT. USE AS A CENTERPIECE THEN SERVE. DOUBLE RECIPE WILL FILL 8" POT AND 6" POT.

Keith Lane said:
DIRT CAKE

That's way more complicated than the dirt cakes we use to make.

Pond Muck Pies - now those took talent to get right...

Keith Lane said:
MMMMM I'd never had it before, and shouldn't eat it again, but will. (in a New York second)

I was quite skeptical the first time I tried dirt cake (no one would let me know the ingredients), but once taste...yum! Oreos and pudding, two of my favorite food groups:goofy:

This should become a sticky thread. I mean this stuff is sticking to our arteries way not on the board as well?

It all sounds yummy I think I might want some baked spaghetti pie tonight.

Carol said:

I'm completely taken back at the highly cultured manner in which you refer to finger food or with utensils!!

By gollie: our Board Miss Manners has been discovered :yes:

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
I'm completely taken back at the highly cultured manner in which you refer to finger food or with utensils!!

Carol is a southern lady. She gets my vote. :)

Carol said:

Transport vessels........
Till you run out of Fritos :hairraise:

Then it's finger food for real! Don't let any of it go to waste......:no:

I think I'm going to be ill.

I think after the Frito Chili Pie we should have some Ice Box Cake. It would be refreshing. (More clogged arteries.)

Toby said:
I think after the Frito Chili Pie we should have some Ice Box Cake. It would be refreshing. (More clogged arteries.)

Better yet, one of the docs on the board should be administering serious gastric meds. :)

The Old Man said:
Original(?) Frito Pie from Texas State Fair ca 1970:

Take individual size bag of Fritos. Open one side.
Spoon in some chili (Usually w/o beans)
Sprinkle on grated or shredded cheese

(Possibly add some diced onions)

Eat from bag with plastic fork as you walk.
Mitydamfine

DINNER!

Dave Siciliano said:

Dave

*SNORT*

How about Pine Bark?

35 crackers (like Ritz, Townhouse)
1 cup sweet butter (salted)
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon each almond and vanilla extracts
5 (4-ounce) semisweet chocolate bits or squares broken into pieces
salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Line a 15 by 10 by 1-inch pan with tin foil or use non-stick pan.

Place crackers, salty side up, in prepared pan. In a saucepan, boil butter and sugar for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and almond extract. Pour mixture over crackers. Sprinkle very lightly with salt. and bake for 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from oven, top with chocolate pieces, and spread evenly as chocolate begins to melt. Cool slightly and transfer onto waxed paper. Allow to cool completely.

easy-peasy.

Wouldn't it be fun if we could all get together and have a "South Beach (Not!)" party? We could eat all this wonderful junk and bounce off the walls!

Toby said:
Wouldn't it be fun if we could all get together and have a "South Beach (Not!)" party? We could eat all this wonderful junk and bounce off the walls!

I think that is a splendid idea, and thanks for reminding me about Ice Box Cake. Does your version include lady fingers, whipped cream on top and dark chocolate shavings? Made in a springform pan? I think I'll make one when I'm at my parents' house this weekend!!!!!!!
Elizabeth Hitchcock

PS I once took my version of Chili Pie to a superbowl party where it promptly exploded after 10 minutes in the oven and melted all over the hostess's gazillion dollar range. Must have been a defect in the pyrex dish. I never got invited back to that house. Guess I shouldn't have tried to scrape the pie off the bottom of the oven with a Dorito, huh?

EHITCH said:
I think that is a splendid idea, and thanks for reminding me about Ice Box Cake. Does your version include lady fingers, whipped cream on top and dark chocolate shavings? Made in a springform pan? I think I'll make one when I'm at my parents' house this weekend!!!!!!!
No, no, no. You take those little round chocolate cookies, which I can't remember the name of now! Ayayay!! You whip up some heavy cream with sugar. Then you smear the top of a cookie and stand it on its end; then you smear the top of the next cookie and stick it to the first one, and you keep sticking cookies together with whipped cream in any pattern you want on a big, flat plate or tray. Then you smear the leftover whipped cream all over the top of the cookie-snake and refrigerate for several hours.

EDIT: Chocolate snaps.

But if you make your version this weekend, I'd be glad to test it out. :rolleyes:

PS I once took my version of Chili Pie to a superbowl party where it promptly exploded after 10 minutes in the oven and melted all over the hostess's gazillion dollar range. Must have been a defect in the pyrex dish. I never got invited back to that house. Guess I shouldn't have tried to scrape the pie off the bottom of the oven with a Dorito, huh?
LOL!

Last edited:
Hey, c'mon, folks. I just lost ~30 lbs. You are tempting me back into the world of the overweight. I MUST be strong! Arggggggggggghhhhhhhhh!

Judy

Toby said:
No, no, no. You take those little round chocolate cookies, which I can't remember the name of now! Ayayay!! You whip up some heavy cream with sugar. Then you smear the top of a cookie and stand it on its end; then you smear the top of the next cookie and stick it to the first one, and you keep sticking cookies together with whipped cream in any pattern you want on a big, flat plate or tray. Then you smear the leftover whipped cream all over the top of the cookie-snake and refrigerate for several hours.

Oh yes, I've made that one too. Made it for a friend's 60th birthday party, and when he saw it he practically burst into tears --hadn't had one for YEARS! We used to stack the cookies a bit offset to make the final shape a log. But you have to make it ahead of time to give the whipped cream a chance to soften up the cookies, at which time it really tastes like chocolate cake, not crispy like cookies.

Frito Pie.....Excellent for your Texas Thanksgiving feast.....oh I remember my mom's Frito pie she used to make on Thanksgiving day. We would gather around the table and dad would place the last layer of cheese on the pie. Four spoons and and one batch of Frito pie in the middle of the table with a Dr. Pepper drink the Dallas Cowboys on T.V. Man I'm starting to tear up and get homesick...............................

Doug R said:
Frito Pie.....Excellent for your Texas Thanksgiving feast.....oh I remember my mom's Frito pie she used to make on Thanksgiving day. We would gather around the table and dad would place the last layer of cheese on the pie. Four spoons and and one batch of Frito pie in the middle of the table with a Dr. Pepper drink the Dallas Cowboys on T.V. Man I'm starting to tear up and get homesick...............................

wow - you know, I'm really big on turkey and gravy and all the traditional Thanksgiving stuff.....but that sounds like an excellent Thanksgiving.

Maybe next year (already sold on the turkey)

Back